OS 10.1.1 Scsi burner support

I just saw a helper app for SCSI Burners in VersionTracker.com's Mac OS X section.

I don't have my Yamaha Lightspeed here, so I can't test it.

Isn't FireWire faster than SCSI? I didn't think SCSI was widley used on anything anymore... I mean it is kinda old. hehe, I shouldn't be talking though, I still have my 4x USB burner (which I don't think is supported in X, yet).

Originally posted by dricci
Isn't FireWire faster than SCSI? I didn't think SCSI was widley used on anything anymore... I mean it is kinda old. hehe, I shouldn't be talking though, I still have my 4x USB burner (which I don't think is supported in X, yet).

I'm not sure about the speed, but the fact is, just because something is old doesn't mean it is no good. For instance, I bought a 12x SCSI CD burner two years ago for around $350. For a firewire version of that drive it would have been well over $400! (I just got an IDE 16x one since the SCSI one isn't supported in X, but I'll try that app.)

For peripherals, SCSI is not that common anymore, but for huge RAID arrays it is. The fancy LVD SCSI that is used for hard drives I believe is quite a bit faster and exists, which I don't think is the case for FireWire versions.

SCSI is slower than Firewire (100Mbps vs 400Mbps roughly), but SCSI is still pretty darn good if you get SCSI-3 RAID cards and the like. I have a SCSI Yamaha 8824 on my 8600/300 I tried getting to work using SCSI Helper 1.0, and it wouldn't cooperate. However, I need to do a clean 10.1 install, so I will see how that improves things.

I would really like to get this thing working under OS X so I can author a VCD/SVCD without rebooting into OS 9 to burn the final XA Multitrack images that vcdtoolsX produces with Toast.

My hat is off to this guy for even trying. I don't mind if it doesn't work perfectly with my machine. Afterall, my machine isn't supposed to be running OS X in the first place. :cool:

Originally posted by Krevinek
My hat is off to this guy for even trying. I don't mind if it doesn't work perfectly with my machine. Afterall, my machine isn't supposed to be running OS X in the first place. :cool:

Right on! Good point!

is a bad news to any system admin. Fortunately, it is not true :)

Modern SCSI theoretical max rate is 320 Mega words per second (which is 320 * 16 = 5120 Mbps; yes, 5 Gbps). Even the quite common Ultra 160 wide SCSI will do more than 2.5 Gbps.

Needless to say, there is not a single physical disk device which could saturate said bandwidth; RAIDs, OTOH, can and do.

Originally posted by ladavacm
is a bad news to any system admin. Fortunately, it is not true :)

Modern SCSI theoretical max rate is 320 Mega words per second (which is 320 * 16 = 5120 Mbps; yes, 5 Gbps). Even the quite common Ultra 160 wide SCSI will do more than 2.5 Gbps.

Needless to say, there is not a single physical disk device which could saturate said bandwidth; RAIDs, OTOH, can and do.

I knew it!

Thanks for clarifying that further.

The PowerSurge models, probably the last with built-in internal SCSI, had a much lower SCSI-2 bandwidth. 14MB/sec internal, 10MB/sec external. (Roughly 100Mbps) This is probably due to Apple's bus rather than the design itself of SCSI-2.

It is good to hear SCSI can still clean up, but FW has kicked it out of the consumer's reach. I am still trying to find a decent SCSI DVD drive. I am not trying to find a good one, I am trying to find one.

I am not sure if it exists. All I remember was all the talk when DVD-ROM drives for computers were first coming out. Apple hadn't even released a computer with IDE yet...

Apparently all the mags may have left that little detail out...

I am still trying to find a decent SCSI DVD drive. I am not trying to find a good one, I am trying to find one.

Pioneer have a really nice scsi dvd drive, they do exist as now days you can buy most servers with dvd and servers are scsi only.

Scsi has disappeared from the desktop market and is server only, and they are not just scsi cards anymore but generally raid cards. The reason is speed and expandability, personally i think firewire rules as its true plug and play. No ID's to set, not scsi cards to buy..

Originally posted by Carlo
Do we have scsi burner support yet??

Carlo,

I have a good news for you , please log on to

www.macintouch.com/mosxreaderreports69.html#dec03

and read message from
He got an excellent tip to follow and you might be able to burn a lot of CD's. I tried it and it worked fine for me with PB G3 WallStreet . You will need specificly to download and install Adaptec2906 Driver, which Davide refer to as the "latest Adaptec Driver".
Good luck. ;)

Oh, check out Xlr8YourMac if you have an 'OldWorld' machine like mine. It explains how to get those pesky little SCSI burners working there. Of course the part where you have to remove the PatchedSCSICDROM.kext from your X partition is a little dodgy, but what the hell, I will give it a try.

I am definitely tired of sitting MacOS 9 so much, and doing OS 9 work I can easily do with better software in OS X. Authoring VCD/SVCDs works best for me under OS X, even though Cleaner 5 isn't carbonized. It does work at full speed under Classic on my machine anyways.

Strata VideoShop (Now Strata DV)-> Cleaner 5 -> VCDToolsX -> Toast 5

The only thing left is that I have no way of getting video into my machine while under OS X, which is semi-ok... I want a firewire card. :cool:

Oh, check out Xlr8YourMac if you have an 'OldWorld' machine like mine. It explains how to get those pesky little SCSI burners working there. Of course the part where you have to remove the PatchedSCSICDROM.kext from your X partition is a little dodgy

Hi Krevinek,

The tip I refer to in my posting above is a straight forward installation of a couple of extentions and you are up and go after a restart of your computer. It is that easy. ;)

Whooo Hoooo :)

I found a program on version tracker which added the scsi support to osx. And I just burned my first on my mac since march 24. Very happy.

My only problem now is that the 1906 driver does not support deep sleep mode yet. :(

Still at least I can burn, it seems adaptec have been royally slow in introducing decent drivers for OS X. Is their another brand that have better apple support.

Originally posted by Carlo
Whooo Hoooo :)

I
My only problem now is that the 1906 driver does not support deep sleep mode yet. :(

Did You try Adaptec 2906 ?? it might solve your "deep sleep" poblem ;)

Originally posted by Wafa

Hi Krevinek,

The tip I refer to in my posting above is a straight forward installation of a couple of extentions and you are up and go after a restart of your computer. It is that easy. ;)

It isn't "that easy" on pre-G3 Macs. Due to the extensions Unsupported UtilityX installs, it winds up conflicting with El Gato's kext. So someone posted to xlr8yourmac.com on how they managed to figure out that it was that UUX kext that was conflicting.

You are perfectly right on supported machines, but not right on machines like mine. I have been banging away at getting them working for a week, and until I realized the SCSI kexts were conflicting (from xlr8yourmac.com's article), it just wouldn't work. Even Ryan Rempel's log notices this conflict and is working on a fix so that the two can work in harmony. :D

It isn't "that easy" on pre-G3 Macs. Due to the extensions Unsupported UtilityX installs, it winds up conflicting with El Gato's kext. So someone posted to xlr8yourmac.com on how they managed to figure out that it was that UUX kext that was conflicting.:D

Hi Krevinek,
Thanks for your clarification, I was not aware of this problem as I only tried it on my own G3 PB, hope some body will come up with a solution soon.

Back