Os 10.3.7

rissole1975

Registered
Hi guys
Ive been having some strange probs of late, since installing the .7 update. Heres the symptoms:

Random reseting/deletion of my bookmarks in safari;
.dmg's wont mount;
dock setting randomly reset themselves;
whenever i relaunch finder, the desktop shows my hd and removes my prefs for the way files are organised on the dt.

Nothing that major (apart from the dmgs) - anyone else suffered from similar afflictions? Does anyone have any ideas why this might be?

Thanks very much for reading this post
Cheers
Mr Rissole :(

I am glad to see that someone else has noticed the strange behaviors as of late with .7 ... I too am seeing similar things to what you are describing with my powerbook, particularly with Safari. For whatever reason.... my history is kept for the last week or so like normal, but when you go to type in a URL, normally Safari will finish the address for you... but it doesn't... atleast not to the address that I have been to specifically many times prior. My system overall seems to have periods of dragging processing time... for no real reason. One other one for ya... my pointer/cursor went crazy and then dissappeared on me today while I was working. Hmm.. thoughts...?

Since posting about an hour ago, ive had to log out coz safari kept randomly crashing and hey presto, everything above has happened again!!!
Ive tried verifying/reparing permission etc etc to no avail.

Could really do without this coz im a teacher and need the mac for work!

This is starting to get on my wick! Im gonna reach for the install dvd befor emuch longer and start from scratch....
BTW
g4 ibook 1ghz 256mb 14" :( ::sleepy:: :(

Safari crashed for me several times within a hour, but after i repaired permissions (disk utility)and rebooted it is back to normal. But my problems were not as severe as yours.

good luck!

Just a thought, but have you removed the .plist file from your home directory preferences for Safari. I would just move it to another location... don't delete it necessarily. If you had to, you could also put the file back. By removing the .plist file, it should make Safari think that it is a fresh new install and cause it to stop acting irradically. This trick works for myself with other programs that become strange.

Today for the 1st time my Bookmarks dissapeared? That is the only problem i have had. Fingers crossed. :confused:

Check your free disk space, I had similar problems once when the free space on the boot disk was running low, under 5-10% i think. It started with loosing preferences in random apps.

Also, try creating a new user account and see if that new user account exhibits the same symptoms. That'll help tell whether it's a system-wide problem, or a problem specific to your user account.

Guys, sorry about not replying sooner - been really busy! Thank you very much for all the info - I created a new account and it solved the problem.
Thanks again!
Mr Rissole

Back