OS 10.3.9 ~ Ethernet connectivity

field_studies

Registered
I've seen a smattering of other posts on this topic but none that seemed to fully address the problem, so I hope a solution has surfaced more recently.

Basically, my G4 Powerbook running 10.3.9 keeps dropping its internet connection. How/when it picks it back up again is indeterminant, and all I can really tell is that it appears to doing so more and more slowly as the weeks go by.

Here's what I know:

* It never picks up the connection when booting up or coming out of sleep.
* It has this problem with ethernet connections in various locations
* It /appears/ to have the same problem where connecting when the airport card, though I haven't tested this enough to confirm it.
* The problem is with the connection itself--ie. local networking is affected equally as internet connectivity.
* Having picked up the connection some time after booting up or waking, it can later be dropped again, for apparently no reason.
* On rare occassion, the connection can be regained by unplugging and re-plugging the ethernet cable.​

I have a few other little theories and observances, but those above are all I'm sure of.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I can't say I experince all the same problems as you, but my ethernet connection reguarly drops.

When this happens (i.e. about once a week) I unplug the ethernet cable from the router for ten seconds and the replace it. I then reboot the Mac. This always corrects the problem.

I know several people who experince the same problem using Macs or PCs (and fix it with the same solution).

I rang the router supplier and they said this was a common problem and that the removing the cable is the only thing to do. They said that it is probably a problem with the broadband service supply to your locaility, but I'm not sure how true this is.

Back