OS 9 in OS X--Help!!

mony_1950

Registered
After installing OS X and upgrading to OS 9.2.2, I cannot use my OS 9 apps in OS X.
The machine stalls and beeps when th cd-rom icon appears in bottom left.

I installed no firmware upgrades.

I am using a B&W G3 with a sonnet G4 500mhz zif card.

Any suggestions?

DJM

Maybe you are trying to run an old game (from a CD) that cannot run in Classic mode?? That situation probably requires you to boot to OS 9 (not all OS 9 apps will work in Classic mode) Don't understand what you mean by a CD-ROM icon in the bottom left corner?? A drive icon would normally be in the upper right corner (if there's space available) Does Classic start when you need it? Open your System Preferences, click on Classic. The Start/Stop tab should tell you that Classic is running (or not running). If not running click on start, and see what happens (should also show which system folder is being used for Classic)

It is not an old game. It is word, excel,powerpoint,photoshop,etc.
As the machine bvoots up, OS 9 appears on the screen, then icons line up across the bottom until the desktop apperas. I can startup in OS X or OS 9.2.2.
Just cannot run any OS 9 apps in Classice enviroment under OS X.

DJM

How much RAM is installed in your system? I recommend a minimum of 512 MB when using Classic. I would also recommend that you do not use the Classic option to 'start Classic when you log in', as I prefer to control when to start Classic. (Are you sure you have your system is booting to OS X, and not OS 9?) You shouldn't see anything of extension icons loading when your system is booting to OS X, unless you have it set to start automatically, turn that setting off, Classic will start when you try to start a Classic app.
Last question: What does happen when you try to start any Classic apps (error message, anything at all) Make sure that Classic is running (in your System Preferences/Classic pane)

I don't know what firmware to get or where to get it.
After OS X loads, I try to open the OS 9 Classic enviroment. it will not load unless I hold the shift key which loads OS 9.2.2 with the extensions off.
All programs and devices seem to work.
I'll keep plugging.
DJM

I have 256 mhz memory. OS X is running. When I start Classic, I get an OS 9 startup screen and that is the end. It will not load unlees I hold down the shift key.
I do not get an error message.
DJM

If you hold the SPACE bar down as Classic starts up, you will enter the extensions manager, giving you the choice to enable/disable any extensions in OS 9. Sounds like an extension(s) are just not allowing Classic to start, and it's probably a non-Apple extension, you can choose some different extension setups at this point to see what will allow Classic to start (I suspect that the same extension gives you boot problems with OS 9 booting also) Try first the extension that loads for your processor software, if there is one.

Do you mean 256 MB of memory?

I suggest that you keep trying to boot into your Classic environment in this fashion: Remove all the disabled extensions (put them in your Documents folder, or something), then move everything from the enabled folder to the disabled folder. Then, move the first 5 extensions in the disabled folder back to the enabled folder and start Classic. Continue moving 5 into the enabled folder until you get a problem, and then disable the last 5 you moved one at a time until you track down the problem.

(If you're confused, the enabled folder is System Folder > Extensions and the disabled folder is System Folder > Extensions (Disabled).)

Yes, 256 MB of memory. I held the space bar down. The extensions mamnager was set to MY Settings. I set it to OS 9.2.2 all. Now OS 9.2 boots in Classic enviroment. I will continue to diasble the extensions I don't use BUT I AM IN BUSINESS!1

Tanks a bunch. I really appreciate the help.
DJM

Okay. I suggest you still gradually add extensions to your set until you find your troublemaker.

Back