OS Licensing for new machines

zorro2b

Registered
I am about to buy a new Mac. With Tiger imminent, I was wondering whether Apple provided free OS upgrades for recently purchased machines - and if so what is their definition of "recent" in relation to the OS release date?

Usually 90 days means you get a discount. If you can wait, it might not hurt. Rumors of an iMac tweak and we still don't know the exact date of Tiger, just "first half of the year".

Yep -- you definitely won't get a copy of Tiger or an upgrade to Tiger until Tiger is actually released, so if you can wait and Tiger is that important, I would do so!

ElDiabloConCaca has it right. In past upgrades systems eligible for a free upgrades had to have been purchased after the firm release date is announced. There was an exception made for the G5 Macs when Panther was released, but that was a one time good deal. The downside of the free upgrades has been they are upgrade only installers and if it ever becomes necessary to reinstall the OS you have to go back and reinstall the original OS and then upgrade to the new OS version. A real PITA.

Back