OS X 10.1 complaints... STRAIGHT FROM APPLE

what is that swap file, what is it used for, and what must do to speed my system up by putting it on a separate partition?
Oh, and to whoever wrote that Win2k suck, I'm writting this on a comp running it, and I'm pleased to report the mouse cursor now has a shadow. Apart from that, cant find any other diff.

Kinniken

Solrac said:

*** THE 10.1 THAT WAS DEMO'D WAS FASTER IN EVERY SINGLE WAY THAN THE 10.1 I HAVE INSTALLED HERE***

2 words: FASTER MACHINE

How can you possibly think that the release version of an OS (any OS) can make your single 400 or 500 MHz processor machine faster than a dual 800+ Mhz machine (even running a demo version of the OS)?!???

You should learn how to compare Apples with Apples (!).

Colddiver

Originally posted by vic
it sais that ina document released to aedc members that their version is a prerelease version, and not to be installe don aany mission critical computers.

Sorry vic, it doesn't. Not a word about things yet to do or anythings about "Don't install on production machines" like they did with the earlier builds. It looks very very final.
Still, where is the WOOOWWW-speed, where is the smb-client?

cu:Stray

Stray:

The SMB client is present and has worked for me... I have heard reports saying that it hasn't worked well (or at all) for some people, but I just thought I'd point out in response to "where is smb support" that it *is* there.

As far as your speed complaints, anything specific?

Hi,

i know that smbfs finally made it's way into the kernel and there is a mount_smbfs command. Oh well, it even works from the CLI, but this is not at all what i'd expect from Apple. Where is a GUI-Tool (Browsing, mounting etc...)?

As far a speed is concerned MacOSX still feels slower then MacOS9 and i doubt it will ever do.

I run 5G64 which i d'loaded from ADC-Site. Even though there is no word about unfinished things, I do not think, that this is the final release. Maybe Apple is in for some surprises.

cu:Stray

*** THE 10.1 THAT WAS DEMO'D WAS FASTER IN EVERY SINGLE WAY THAN THE 10.1 I HAVE INSTALLED HERE***

not only faster machines, but dual processors, and RAM. you want to see X fly, beef up the RAM. stop you're complaining about a canned demo

Stray:

SMB is built into the "connect to server" component of the Mac OS X GUI (if that makes sense). Were you not aware of this?

where did you here about this, and does anyone know what older dvd players this will not work with?

please, not me not me

dp 450 G4

Originally posted by Kinniken
what is that swap file, what is it used for, and what must do to speed my system up by putting it on a separate partition?
Oh, and to whoever wrote that Win2k suck, I'm writting this on a comp running it, and I'm pleased to report the mouse cursor now has a shadow. Apart from that, cant find any other diff.

Kinniken

A swap file is the file in which currently unused memory is swaped out of RAM into. Im not sure how you would move it for OS X but I know that many people have done it.

Also, Did you notice that the drop shadow on the cursor is from a diffrent light source than the rest of the drop shadows on the UI elements (atleast as far as I could tell). Looks positivily horrible (never understood why you would want your cursor to have a drop shadow as its not realy suppost to be in front of the light source, its just suppost to be you pointing at the UI elements).

DVD Playback IS in OS X, but, sadly, as of yet, it will not work on some older machines.

The key is that OS X only supports SOFTWARE decoding, so older machines that only have hardware decoding built-in will not be able to use the DVD player -- it won't even be installed.

Hopefully Apple will fix this in a later release of OS X... but from what I've heard, OS X 10.1 seems to be fantastic!

Correct. X.1 only supports software DVD decoding. If you happen to have an older machine that uses hardware decoding (like my laptop with its little slide in DVD card...) you're SOL. For now, at least...

Kinniken:

Never said WIN2K sucks. Said I installed XP last night and It truly does SUCK. I'll send you a CD with the key if you want to verify that it SUCKS. At least it fits my definition of SUCKS.:D

Why is everyone flaming this guy? Sure, he pirated a build,
but except for that.. his complaints are perfectly reasonable.
Don't tell him he has to buy Drive X and optimize his disk
every day, don't tell him he needs to update all the prebindings
every day (there are bugs in the way prebindings are updated
so if he has applications outside of the apps folder this
could be hard for him). And don't tell him he needs a dual
processor million-gigahertz machine just to open textedit!

His complaints are perfectly reasonable. We should be helping
him instead of telling him to leave the Mac. If we want to
help Apple we should make it an attractive platform and not
drive away anybody with the least complaints.

mho

Originally posted by solrac
and ALL HIS APPS LAUNCH IN ONE BOUNCE!!! Text Edit, Quicktime, Explorer, Everything!!! One Bounce!!!!!!!!!
-solrac-

I think all they had to do was put these programs into a ram disk and give the poor computer +1gig of ram. And the menu's can be pre-loaded into the memory (in gnome you can configure this).

For all we know, Jobs sits in fount of the computer, and a tape is played back on the lcd and the big screen.

gota remember, that build he uses probably can't even rename files. All it does is look fast ;-) its like a consept car - nobody notices the lack of cup holders or the ford taurus engine. If the car looks like it can fly, it sells initially.

Honestly, though, I used 10.0.4 on my Beige 292mhz G3, with 128megs of ram, and it wasn't so bad (and thats why I think my quick silver is so fast, now yall know!).

Just wait until they make the finder multi-threaded (Cocoa anybody?)

Originally posted by apb3
Correct. X.1 only supports software DVD decoding. If you happen to have an older machine that uses hardware decoding (like my laptop with its little slide in DVD card...) you're SOL. For now, at least...

Kinniken:

Never said WIN2K sucks. Said I installed XP last night and It truly does SUCK. I'll send you a CD with the key if you want to verify that it SUCKS. At least it fits my definition of SUCKS.:D

Aah! I just got my DVD settlement offer in the mail last week.
I guess it would be too much to hope that we'll get another
settlement because of this. What -- Apple advertised a working
DVD player but never said it would work out of the box (first
settlement), nor that it would work for more than two years
(MacOS X, hopefully another class-action suit).

kilowat ... your being silly...

i can conferm those speeds on my g4 466. yes i can

ohh ...........look.........one bounce...

see!

kiding aside, yes it is much faster the version this guy has is shity, let him ge the store or seybold one and his mind will change just like all your's "early adopters -of pirate builds-"

Hi
A small comment on the demo vs. release. Of course the developer releases are different from the public ones. And well Apple probably ran the demo on the Apple Power Mac G4 dual 800MHz. Which has so much processing speed it could kill. But not only processor speed but bus and hard drive speed. Now yes the Ti's are nice as hell but the newer Power Macs have a 133MHz bus and for a long time Power Macs have had ATA100 or 66 with a 7200RPM spindle speed. Now that compares to the 100MHz bus with less than a GB or maybe a GB of throughput and a 4200RPM (or if you are rich and lucky a 5400RPM) drive. Now that does make a difference. So just so you know the "rest of the story" - Paul Harvey.

one thing they haven't worked on is the damn checkboxes, for me they require a sustained mouseclick and take half a second to respond, that sucks. yet another thing to slow you down on the net.

Originally posted by ulrik
on my 5G64, I have only a few apps (OmniWeb for example) which take more than three bounces. IE is there in a half bounce. Same goes for SysPrefs.
Well...the important thing is to move your swap file to another physical disc! I just plugged an old 4 gig SCSI drive into my Quicksilver (which reminds me that my sig is not uptodate ;) and moved the swap file their...you won't believe how this speeds up app launches! And I always update my prebindings, at least once a day. And every evening, I run Drive 10 on all of my drives. Sure, when you fire up the system and you log in, apps take a bit longer, but my Mac runs 24/7 and when it runs for some hours, the apps start with two or one bounce...at least here. I live 5G64...can't wait to get the final 10.1 with iDVD 2!!!

Ulrik,
you did do the swap partition thing and you DID notice a speed improvement?
I read on xlr8yourmac.com that it only create an improvement on machines lacking in a good amouunt of physical ram yet i see you have 1.5g just like me.
So, my question to you. I have a dual G4 500 with 1.5g ram, is your increase fro mthe swap setup enough that you would suggest i do it? I have 110g of HD space so it wouldnt put me out any necessary space.
Thanks.

Back