OS X 10.2.4 Install Help

Myztiq

Registered
Ok, well I am tying to install OS X 10.2.4 onto my girlfriends iBook. She had problems when her father tried to install version 10.3. It is my first time ever working with a mac however I am a best buy geek squad agent so I know pretty much about computers in general. I insert the disk by holding down the space key after holding the power button, put the disk in, hold c. It starts up and I see the apple symbol with a rotating circle on the bottom. Then the apple symbol changes to a no sign like a little no smoking sign thing of some sort. What is wrong and what must I do? Thanks for all the help!

Okay new information....

I just ran the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with the laptop.
Got an error code....
Mass Storage
ata1/6/13 cd/dvd: 2,1

any ideas? i think it may be hard drive related due to Mass Storage and ata1 which is the hd slot. Can i just throw in any laptop hd in there? i might have one lying around. Its from a Win 98 system though...

well i just scanned it again and recieved a pass on the Apple Test... Odd... Well it seems that is a lost cause since im still trying to install please i need help anyone!

Myztiq said:
... error code....
Mass Storage
ata1/6/13 cd/dvd: 2,1

any ideas? i think it may be hard drive related due to Mass Storage and ata1 which is the hd slot. Can i just throw in any laptop hd in there? i might have one lying around. Its from a Win 98 system though...

That error code refers to ata1, which is the optical drive. The hard drive is at ata0.
The optical drive could be intermittent, which would explain some of what you have now. The 'prohibited' symbol (diagonal slash) usually means that some necessary data cannot be found. This is usually the result when trying to boot to a system software that is too old.
Which iBook is this? Is it an iBook G4? or, and older G3. Flip up the keyboard, where there is a data label, which will show the original configuration, especially the processor speed. The G4 iBook will not even boot with 10.2.4 - and newer iBook G4 won't boot with 10.3, and would need a newer version. The installer set that shipped with that iBook will be the oldest version that can be used.

alright well here is what it is...

800mhz/128mb/30gb/cd

I used the software that came with the iBook becuase i thought that that may cause the least amount of problems. My goal is to just do a fresh install. Any help on the topic is appreciated. Delta thank you so far for your help it is much appreciated.

OK, that seems to be software that should work with that iBook (installing 10.2.4). Make sure that nothing is attached to the iBook, other than the power adapter - no external mouse or keyboard.
If the iBook appears to be booting to the installer CD, and you continue to get the Prohibited symbol, then you likely have a read problem in the CD drive. That would be shown by the error in the hardware test, and that seems to be intermittent. The CD drive is probably just going bad. You should be able to work-around this problem if you have access to another Mac. You can connect both with a FireWire cable. Put the installer CD in the OTHER mac, and reboot that Mac while holding the T key. You will see a floating FireWire icon on the screen, and nothing else. Boot your iBook while holding the OPTION key. Choose the Installer CD from that blue screen (wait patiently for the rotating cursor to change back to an arrow, then click on the Installer CD, and then click the right-facing arrow.) The iBook will continue to boot to the installer disk (which is in the other computer), and you should be able to complete the install....

okay with a little bit of time it got past that part. now im installing Mac OS X 10.2.4 and when i get to the select destination prompt there is no disk to install to... So i figure i should partition the disk so i Open Disk Utility. Wait a while for it to load and select the 27.95 gb FUJITSU. Then i hit partition. Wait a while again as the pinwheel rolls about itself like a happy go lucky lolypop on steroids. When if finally pops up about 5 minutes later i select the format of Mac OS Standard. Unselect Install Mac OS 9 Disk drivers, and press Partition. I get the warning about erasing volumes. Press Partition. Then i get the Preparing Drive ... unmounting old volumes. Well it sits there for several hours and have yet to get past that point. What is wrong? Bad Hard Drive?

At the Partition tab, select Volume Scheme, and choose something else from the drop down (such as 2 partitions) Don't choose anything else, and click the Partition button. When that completes, choose the Erase tab, and enter the name you want to use. Mac OS Extended (journaled) is the normal choice, and is the default for a good reason. Mac OS standard will leave you with enormous file sizes, and a limit of 32,768 files, more or less). The OS X typically installs something more than 90,000 files, so cannot use the Standard. The other choices are for special uses, such as Unix support drives, or multi-platform use with Windows, and mostly should not be tried as an OSX boot drive. It either won't work, or you can experience problems with various kinds of software. In other words, change the default format if you have to, otherwise leave at Mac OS Extended (journaled)
The OS 9 drivers are needed in the event you will ever use the drive booting to OS 9. They don't affect anything else, and can safely be installed at the time of format. You cannot add the OS 9 drivers at a later time without re-formatting the drive completely.
Partition - erase, and then install should work (but your CD drive still may be interfering)
Some 'purists' may respond that you don't need to partition, and then erase, too. I prefer this way, especially if you are using a hard drive that came from a Windows system.

Well im running the first partitioning. How long should it take to unmount the old volumes because it seems like its still stuck on that... It should be the original apple hard drive. Ill edit if anything changes... But so far its at the same spot where it sticks constantly....

Back