OS X.2 some new stuff not mentioned

Here's some more goodies from Jaguar.

The 10.2 Installer About Menu

Attachments

• installjaguar10dot2.gif
    installjaguar10dot2.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 106
I'm pretty sure Dock Pinning will be back in the final release.

Apple may do some dumb things, but they wouldn't remove a feature like that. We all know how mad people would get if they did.

I woul love to get my hands on a pre release of 10.2.. Just for fun. I missed out on the Beta and kicked myself for doing it (One day I may actually get it and put it on an old iMac for fun) I would like to seethis for myself.

I saw the videos over at Cnet from the Keynote. The little animations, speed, etc all make anything Apple or even MS have ever released look like crap. Well, not really. But it blows me away. I can't wait to blow my friend and dad away with this.

iChat will be used 100% of the time!

InkWell will prolly make me get a tablet just to use the handwriting recognition!

Sherlock 3 looks awesome! I can't wait to use the Movie Times part and the package tracker will come in handy.

The integrated Address Book is part of many apps. Including iChat. That's pretty damn cool.

Fast Find may come in handy for me. I really rarely ever use it. But will love it when I do.

I want it now! But I'll wait for the bugs to be out. Can't wait! I wish we had a final date. "Late Summer" can mean anything! Including September! I REALLY don't want to have to go to MWNY and have Steve say "It will be available in September", that would make me cry. But, if it helps make it a little faster, then by all means!

Originally posted by Jasoco
I want it now! But I'll wait for the bugs to be out. Can't wait! I wish we had a final date. "Late Summer" can mean anything! Including September! I REALLY don't want to have to go to MWNY and have Steve say "It will be available in September", that would make me cry. But, if it helps make it a little faster, then by all means!

With Apple release dates, always assume the last possible day. It released OS X 10.1 in "late summer", which was in September about 3 or 4 days before summer officially ended. Apple usually pushes it to the limits.

So expect OS X 10.2 to be out late September, and then if it comes earlier it will be a treat!

Originally posted by Chris Belwinds
Where do you get 10.2, and is it worth (or smart) installing such a beta version in a working environment?

I think Steve said that it's not even alpha yet (in terms of prime time use)....

Originally posted by Bluefusion
iChat is good too, no logging though, and there is no notifications for when someone IMs you (this is sort of an obvious exclusion that is probably just due to this being a Dev Prev)

I see notification when an IM comes in...a small bubble like window opens up with the name of the person that is IM'ing you...unless you mean soundwise? I don't remember if it makes any sort of sounds when the first IM comes in...

Yeah, i discovered this later after I posted. What I meant is an Adium-style icon notification in the Dock. Also, the iChat bubble only works if the chat window is closed... Adium lists the name of the person who just IM'd you over its Dock icon, whether the window is open or closed.

Actually much of the lag time spent on the Happy Mac Face is the system doing a filesystem check on your hard drive and starting up many other basic things (like the mouse...notice you can't move it till after the happy mac face is gone). Boot up in singleuser mode once and watch it, everything it does before you get a command line is what goes on during the happy face mac.

Does iChat alow you use any other contacts?

I mean like MSN ot Yahoo. :confused:

As a toaly unrelated note:

does any one know who to set up a POP3 account for M$ Hotmail?

Very gratefull if you could help

Ta

B

hotmail does not support POP (or IMAP either, for that matter)

hotmail is from microsoft, and POP and IMAP are open standards, defined in RFC readable by anyone and freely distributable.

using open standards is bad for you if you are a monopoly. it means you are giving access to competetors. open standards are only good for consumers, and smaller businesses, and people interested in a large scale growth of a huge intteroperable network. in other words, not microsoft.

if microsoft had thought of it in time, then IE would not support HTTP and the web would be in their pocket. if enough people use hotmail, then they will start to control email. AOL got on top of instant messaging first, and now they have a vice grip on the IM protocols.

fight the monopolies! they are bad for the consumer! drop your hotmail account!

I agree. Ditch Hotmail, use Mac.com Webmail. It's fast, efficient, and works while supporting internet standards (not to mention that the best-looking email client in the world supports it fully!). Or, if you really feel the need to "go with the crowd", get a Yahoo account :)

but if you just want an account for junkmail, then go hotmail =)
You wouldn't want to get junk in you mac.com mail right? =D

i fully endorse using hotmail junk accounts for spam. that way, you get to keep your own inbox free, and at the same time, you cost MS CPU cycles, bandwidth and disk space. couldn t be better.

as long as you don t email people from the hotmail account (effectively advertising for microsoft), then i think you are doing an excellent part of fighting the monoploies, and putting the internet back in the hands of the people.

you get the lethe seal of approval. (i have two hotmail accounts myself, that i use only for junkmail)

Yeah, I agree with lethe. I just emptied my inbox the other day, 617 messages, way over the 2MB quota...

I do have to go in every few days to remove garbage -- I don't want them shutting down my email address... :p But I like to leave it full as much as possible to bounce that spam right back to the sender. :)

Well, I admit I'm biased because the junk mail filter in Jaguar's Mail.app is INCREDIBLE... :) but then again, I honestly get very little junk mail in Mac.com accounts regardless... they seem to be able to significantly reduce it.

I think I will get a junkmail account at Hotmail :)

OK, my new junk mail account is amazingcrap@hotmail.com !!!

if you ever wanted to send me junkmail, feel free to do it there! yay! and I have an "amazingcrap" .NET passport as well! Yay! All with false personal information!

Speaking of fighting the monopolies, I made a fun little "art piece" today.. I took an AOL CD and wrote Windows serial numbers on the back of it--then tried to destroy the CD as much as humanly possible. :) :)

I have my own domain. I used to have it setup so that alll email that did not go to a specific account would be forwarded to my spam account....

basically, you could send email to sefsdurtgw4795@mydomain.com and I'd get it on my junk mail account.

Whenever I bought something, I would put in the company name as my email account. e.g. I would use amazon@mydomain.com when I bought at amazon.

I used this to see who where the weasels that spammed me after I told them not to. after that I would use something like amazon_sucks@mydomain.com :D

for a while I used email@mydomain.com, but people always had a hard time with this... they'd ask for my email and I'd start with email@... they'd interrupt and say something like "yes, your email... can you give it to me" I'd start all over again yep... email@...

it usually took 3-4 times before most people caught on. :rolleyes:

I also used to put people's names for junk mail... If someone asked for email, I'd ask them their name and then give that back to them as my email. e.g. Tara_Hunter@mydomain.com. This always got under people's skin for some reason. :D

of course, my favorite was just to make up something like kqgta85f762ksetd9sa55hnas@mydomain.com people would always ask me how I could possibly remember my email address. :D

If they are gonna spam me I'm going to at least get a little fun out of it. :D

That thing about using your "unlimited aliases" email feature and putting in the NAME of the potential spammer in order to trace spam... wow, what a GREAT idea. I really should do that!

oh yeah... about hotmail (spam always dsitracts me)... Aren't they going to start charging for their service? Paying for a spam email accopunt don't make much sense to me...

Back