OS X cool running?

TimR

Registered
Hi Guys, have an oddball question for you. Did a search and couldn't find any info but basically I am curious as to why OS X runs cooler than OS 9?? Is it just more efficient? Does it control the fans better? I have a QS G4 (was 733, now 933) and am playing with fans to try and quiet it down a little bit. Bought a "compunurse" temp monitor and attached it to the heat sink...I realize thats not processor temp but none the less it gives me a baseline to work from.

Anyway, in OX 10.3.7 I get about 32 degrees C..hard use will drive that up to about 38-39. Sleeping hard drives etc will drop to 30 C even. Mastor HD usually about 38 and slave about 32.

When I start up in OS 9.2.2, the temp climbs to about 42 C and stays there..hard use will drive it up to about 48-49 and no use brings it to about 40 degrees C. Hard drives about the same. Fans are working harder.

Restart into OS X and the temp drops back down to 32 C. Room temp the same for all readings (about 22 degrees C).

Just curious. Thanks for any info...

later
Tim
PS So far the most noise found has been one of the harddrives, replaced one with maxtor 7200 rpm 120GB and all I can hear now are the fans..not loud, just there...

Attachments

• compunurse2.jpg
    compunurse2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 35
Just a guess, but it could be due to better power management? G4's were quite new when OS 9 was around and so it's quite possible that there weren't any power-management drivers that could dynamically change the CPU speed, or turn off regions of the CPU that isn't in use.

All this is just speculation as I've never used OS 9.

I'd have to agree with Viro... but I just wanted to say:

YOU'VE NEVER USED OS 9?! USE IT! NOW! Hehe... taste a bit of the old world -- you'll like it!

I like OS 9. Its pretty fast....go from 10.3.7 to 9.2.2 on my machine and it seems much faster, but OS X is of course much nicer to look at and work with...

later
Tim

Yep, OS 9 is fast -- at one thing at a time. Try running a complex filter on a large file in PhotoShop while processing a PostScript file with Acrobat Distiller under OS 9 and OS X, and see which finishes first... ;)

Distiller, since Photoshop's slower. :p ... Ah, I'm glad my hardware can't run OS 9 natively...

On topic: OS 9 actually had better power management. At least for PowerBooks/iBooks. Mostly because OS 9 could ever so often keep the harddrive down, whereas OS X often has to read or write something because of its structure. It's been getting better with every big upgrade, though...

Back