OS X on G3

Holland

Registered
How does the Imac G3 400 MHz fare with OS X? Will it run at all?

What is the best video card configuration for this system?

Any info is appreciated,

Rome

I have a b&w Powermac G3 300 MHz, 320 MB RAM. For video, it has the little old Rage 128 it came with. Works fine for everything I need, but I'm not really into graphical games...

I use it on my G3 B&W 400 MHz. Smooth (but don't ask too much to iLife). BTW I updated my video card to a 7000, but this was not necessary for Panther.

Panther actually runs snappier on my old clamshell iBook, 366 Mhz. I guess "slowish" depends on what you'll be using it for.

If you're going to install it on an iMac 400MHz, then the video card query doesn't matter since you can't change it anyway.

The best video card for OS X would be the most expensive one out there, I presume. The more RAM on the video card, the better it will be. The faster the video card, the better it will be. Raising the RAM or speed of a video card raises the price, hence, the most expensive video card would probably be the best for OS X.

For comparatory reasons, OS X runs decently on my computers (both of them, just one faster than the other. I'll let you figure out which one runs it faster). They're not speed demons by any means, and they both make me want a faster computer every time I use them, but they work, and they work well.

Back