OS X on iPod?

Juxel

Registered
I have been reading a lot of threads here where people mentioned having an OS installed on their iPod, so I decided to try it. I installed X.2 on my iPod today and then I restarted with that selected as the startup disk it loads the white screen with the Apple, but it never gives the black wheel thing that loads and it just sits there. I tried blessing the system folder of the iPod through the command line to no avail. Any ideas?

-Juxel

I've heard multiple reports that running apps -especially an OS- from an iPod can ruin the disk.
Apparently the iPod HD can't handle the type of (constant) use that is needed for running apps.
I think Apple voids the warranty if you do.

The interface you use to browse sons etc. on an iPod is a little OS itself.
I think people might have been referring to that.
Look for instance on www.ipodlounge.com forums for more info on the iPod OS

:)

I did it...before...

Back in the days when my school Mac had only OS 9 and it snapped 5 times daily I was fed up and installed OS X on my iPod (10.1), it worked great till it went into sleep mode (thus disconnecting external HDs)...

Maybe it's Jaguar's problem...

Originally posted by kukident
I've heard multiple reports that running apps -especially an OS- from an iPod can ruin the disk.
Apparently the iPod HD can't handle the type of (constant) use that is needed for running apps.
I think Apple voids the warranty if you do.

This is just a nasty rumor. None of it is true. If the iPod couldn't run apps or there was a risk of voiding the warranty, Apple would have told us.

Chris

I also think that they probably wouldn't have enabled a disk mode on the iPod if it couldn't be used as a disk.

With the 2 warning messages that tell you not to disconnect the iPod while updating (one in iTunes and one in the iPod screen) I'm sure they'd have put in 3 or so warning messages of that kind somewhere as well...

I've installed OS 9 on my iPod, and it works just fine (with my TFT) especially when it crashes and NDD wants more RAM. I can't specify the amount of RAM NDD uses if it's running from CD.

It was just a warning, do as you please :)
There are different stories about running a system from an iPod, also succesful ones.
The thing that I have heard a lot though, is that the constant reading and writing on the disk, that happens in a system, heats up the iPod and may burn the disk.

And: I read on the apple site (I'm trying to find the document) that the iPod was specifically designed for use as a storage medium. Me thinks this is an implicite warning against use as a system disk.

Originally posted by chabig
If the iPod couldn't run apps or there was a risk of voiding the warranty, Apple would have told us.

Chris

I could answer that if the iPod was designed to run apps and system software they would have advertised it specifically, since they advertised every little feature extensively :p.

Here it is

Question 25: Can I start up my computer using iPod?
Answer: Yes, iPod can be loaded with system software and used to start up your Mac or to install system software on your Mac. Using iPod to start up your Mac with system software is an unsupported feature. iPod cannot be used to start up a PC.

Back