OS X Tools

NovaScotian

Registered
There are several applications that are really interfaces to OS X maintenance functions, such as Xupport, Cocktail, & System Optimizer X. In addition, OS X invokes daily, weekly and monthly scripts to keep itself in good order.

Unfortunately, without a fair degree of familiarity with Unix, the casual user cannot tell what any of these are doing, whether it needs to be done, and how often. In addition, CCCloner, for example will check permissions before it begins its nightly backup. With CronniX you can schedule any of these.

Question: Is there a single good explanation of what these tools are doing that would lead to rational but not redundant use of them - a nice little schedule of backup and self-checking?

I don't think you can overuse these tools...

Not quite sure what you're asking.

I didn't make my question clear enough: System Optimizer = Optimize - by doing what? Cocktail's Pilot panel deletes caches, runs the cron scripts, deletes archived logs, and repairs permissions. As a separate event it will prebind as well. CCCloner also repairs permissions. Xupport will prebind, repair permissions and run the cron scripts among other things.

Since I don't know what the cron scripts do, I don't know how much of the rest of that is redundant. I'd like to design a sequence that kept OS X perking in the wee morning hours, but don't know which of these if important or prudent.

This is IMHO- Pilot in Cocktail is good
The Scripts (daily, weekly, monthly) run by themselves at those intervals if you leave your computer on all the time. I don't think it hurts to run these at any time you feel like it. I run the Weekly about once a day (it resets the memory use by the system, so Top in the Terminal 'looks' better (necessary? not really, I (and the computer) just 'feel' better after running it!). I run permissions reapir after most any software install or system update, and then reboot. The 'prebind' command runs automatically in the background with Jaguar, whenever it wants to, not a necessary thing to do manually (at least in Jaguar) Delete archived Logs? Releases some space on your HD, what else, I don't know. Deleting Caches? I think this is the greatest and simplest tune-up on the OS X system. ALWAYS speeds up booting for me (at least the 2nd boot after deleting, 1st boot has to rebuild those files) And I get windows asking to reverify keychain access, part of the caches being re-done.
How often could you do Pilot? Takes a while to run, especially if you include prebinding. It's your call, but once a week could be a great interval, Go with your 'feelings' :)

Back