OS X WiFi Connection Problem

dalinian

Registered
At home, my MacBook Pro happily connects to my WiFi network for internet services, as provided by an Apple Time Capsule. I regularly visit a friend’s home, which also has a WiFi network (called ASEDA), provided by a non-Apple wireless router, and my MacBook Pro can connect to his WiFi network – but only intermittently gets internet services (Safari reports: “You are not connected to the Internet”). I also have a Nokia N900, running Linux (as Maemo v5.0), which not only connects to my friend’s WiFi network but always gets internet services too.

So what’s going wrong in OS X? And what can I do to ensure my MacBook becomes as reliable as my N900 in getting internet services from his WiFi network?

Thanks in advance for your time and attention.

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.28f3

AirPort Card Information:
Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C)
Wireless Card Locale: Worldwide
Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.21)
Current Wireless Network: ASEDA [connection: yes; internet services: no]
Wireless Channel: 9

System Software Overview:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.8.0

[sent from my N900]

First try using these free programs:

1. iStumbler. To scan if the wireless channels are free of interference.

2. OpenDNS and open a free account (they have an instructional video and put those DNS IP in your Mac Book Pro by opening System Preferences->Network pane, 'Advanced' button, DNS tab.

3. Also on you mac somewhat protect yourself and open System Preferences->Network pane and at the top of the Network pane use the 'Location' and select 'Edit Locations' and make two new locations (calling one Home and the other roaming or anything you like). Just after you make a new Location always look near the bottom of the Network pane and click on the 'Apply' button to save that new Location.

4. Bookmark the site How I fixed my dropping wireless Airport connection problem in Snow Leopard if you feel you need to reset your wireless card/router.

Many thanks for the pointers, Satcomer. I just love networking that just works perfectly, and really loath network troubleshooting – but I get a grand boost to the psych when great folks like your good self lend a hand: very much appreciated indeed. :)
“I’ve always depended on the kindness of strangers”
~ Blanche DuBois, played by Vivien Leigh in ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ by Tennessee Williams, 1951
~ Networking Klutz, play by Dalinian in ‘OS X WiFi Connection Problem’ by Tim Jones, 2011
Of course, the Murphy’s Law Inverse Quantum Corollary for Troubleshooting clearly states that:
• An intermittent fault disappears when examined :rolleyes:
And sure enough, just when I want to research your hypotheses, the ASEDA WiFi network acts perfectly, providing internet services again – D’OH! So it may be that the truth value of your helpful suggestions is less important than their making me try to establish their truth value – because the very action of the observer choosing to investigate an intermittent fault decoheres the system’s quantum ‘works+fails’ superposition state, into the classical ‘works’ perfectly state. ;)

If and when the problem recurs, I shall return to the bookmark of your suggestions, and see if they are diagnostic of what goes wrong.

Thanks again, my friend, Peace-&-Love, Dalinian

Back