OS X's Apache Universal?

TommyWillB

Registered
All, I've been out of the MacOSX.com loop for quite a while so I'm sorry if this question is already asked/answered. (Yes, I searched before posting)

So my question is, when Apple says OS X is fully Intel/Universal... does that include all of the underlying Unix(darwin) and open source stuff. Specifically is the install of Apache native?

Also since I'm still on 10.3, so could you remind me if 10.4 Intel is running Apache 1.3.x or 2.x?

10.4 runs Apache 1.3.x.

I would assume that all of the BSD substructure of Mac OS X as well as the UNIX stuff (like php, Apache, etc.) are all fully native now. I wouldn't count on that as a definitive answer, but I'm leaning toward saying that, yes, Apache 1.3.x under Mac OS X 10.4.x on Macintosh computers with Intel processors is a fully-native Intel binary.

I checked some of the binaries including httpd on my iMac, and indeed these are universal. PPC and i386.
I'd believe they left out the PPC binaries in the Intel version, but it might be that the whole system is universal and installable on PPC Macs.

Let's say bootable-once-installed (but I doubt even that, the boot things are different, I guess...). I guess the installation-DVD doesn't boot on a real Mac. Erh, I mean a PPC Mac. ;)

ksv said:
I checked some of the binaries including httpd on my iMac, and indeed these are universal. PPC and i386.
I'd believe they left out the PPC binaries in the Intel version, but it might be that the whole system is universal and installable on PPC Macs.

Many of the command-line tools and all the bundled applications are Universals, but it's questionable whether Mac OS X itself will ever support both platforms as a Tiger release. I wouldn't think so at this point. Leopard might ship as a unified installer, we'll see. In the meantime, to find out if a command line tool is Universal, use the file command, like so:

macbook:~ dean$ file /usr/bin/grep
/usr/bin/grep: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/usr/bin/grep (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
/usr/bin/grep (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc
macbook:~ dean$

Back