OSX 2+ copies of an app --which is running?

MLJ_osxcom

Registered
How do you tell which app is running if you have two or more copies of same app in various partitions or volumes on your Mac?

I just installed a new larger 200GB hard drive and Carbon Copy CLoner cloned a copy of my older Jaguar OS to the new drive and Archived & Installed Panther on the new drive.

I had some utility launchers and some tricky things may be indicating that the apps on the new drive may or may not be launching instead the older copy on another partition may be running.

How can I determine the path location of the running app (Eudora for example?) when I have copies on several volumes /partitions?

I am trying to figure out some odd behavior quirks:

For example NetBarrier is blocking an app from internet connect, but which app copy is it blocking?

You can right-click (or ctrl-click) on the dock icon for the app, and choose 'Show in Finder'. You'll see your running app in a Finder window. Now Apple (cmd) click on the window title, and your full path is shown (or click on the app, and choose Get Info, which will also show the path to the app)

MLJ_osxcom said:
How do you tell which app is running if you have two or more copies of same app in various partitions or volumes on your Mac?

thanks guys for the information, and fast quick & replies too! It works. Much appreciated.

Now if one could only ask such questions as "How to solve the mess in the Middle East?" and get an answer so easily and quickly.

Sigh.

Back