OSX 64bit - when?

I don't think we'll see 64bit until OS 11 at the earliest. If they're going to make a major change like that, then it makes sense to do it in a new generation.

I do believe we'll see Photoshop as one of the first 3rd Part apps ready for the 64bit version of Mac OS arrives. It was one of the very first major apps to be optimized for the G5 and everyone I've spoke with from Adobe at trade shows and such events are adamant about Photoshop & G5s.

macavenger very inetersting stuff. Though I thought Tiger was 32bit? theres nothing suggesting that its 64bit anyway.

Well its very good to hear that processor intensive applications, like the graphics apps I use, will benifit from 64bit. I just hope that Apple pull their finger out and start sooner rather than later...

There's not much info on Tiger yet, and neither was it said or denied by Apple that it was 64bit. We'll see in less than a week.

The way I understand it is as follows.
The OSX takes advantage of the extra memory, and allocates extensions to take advantage of some of the 64-bit options if detected. However, software written to take advantage of the 64-bit processing of the G5 can be run with out a problem once installed... So there are some advantages, but there are not many programs that take full advantage of the 64-bit, but it will come, especially in the high-end workstation, etc.

mdnky said:
I do believe we'll see Photoshop as one of the first 3rd Part apps ready for the 64bit version of Mac OS arrives. It was one of the very first major apps to be optimized for the G5 and everyone I've spoke with from Adobe at trade shows and such events are adamant about Photoshop & G5s.

They patched the main app and some of the filters, they didn't rewrite it. This was the same exact thing that happen when Apple released the G4. Adobe issued an updater to take advantage of Altivec.

The move to 64-bit from 32-bit is more like the move from Mac OS 8/9 to Mac OS X. Lets not forget the history of that move...

---RacerX starts up the Way-Back machine---

Going into WWDC 98, Apple provided the APIs and even a Carbon enabled version of Rhapsody for some of it's primary developers to look at. Adobe (which was finishing Photoshop 5.5) ported Photoshop 5.0 to Rhapsody as a native Carbon app for demoing in the WWDC Keynote in less than two weeks.

(I've attached some images from the keynote of Photoshop running in Rhapsody)

This was late May 1998. This was Photoshop 5.0.

The first version of Photoshop for Mac OS X was 7.0. Adobe didn't release it until late February 2002.

That was after Acrobat. After Illustrator. After InDesign. After GoLive. At the same time as LiveMotion. And after Microsoft had released Office v.X.

The people at Adobe maybe happy to make some small tweaks to Photoshop to take advantage of the G5... but they'll most likely be one of the last third-party developers to make the jump to 64-bit for the Mac.

... unless they do it at the same time as the rewrite of Photoshop for Windows as a 64-bit app.

Attachments

• photoshop_5_in_rhapsody.jpg
    photoshop_5_in_rhapsody.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 21
so it seems that 64bit is a very long time away (in terms of full compatability). a shame really becuse it would be nice to see it, seeing as macs are fast becoming the system of choice in high end production...

Just think about how fast the new G5s are (Virginia Tech is upgrading to XServes, and the US Army just bought a buttload of them) and then think about how much faster it'll be when we get native 64-bit. It ain't a shame, it's BAD ASS! ;)

Besides, it's always better to have the hardware first, and then the software to support it later. Just think of how many people would be scratching their heads with a native 64-bit OS and nothing to run it on. Gotta have the hardware before you can program for it!

RacerX said:
They patched the main app and some of the filters, they didn't rewrite it.

Never said they rewrote it, but I do believe they'll be one of the first main-line apps converted. It was an opinion.

Back