OSX - A Slow Death?

Is OSX dying a slow death?

• No, it's running faster by the day!

• Maybe, but for me it runs the same since I installed it.

• Yes, it runs a bit slower with every passing week.

• Dan, you are evil, evil people need not concern themselves with these things.

Results are only viewable after voting.
At the end of the day, Ram Ram Ram. 384MB is not even enough for os9. You will be constantly paging out to disk and thrashing your drive. neutrino23 is correct to mention the maintainence scripts as well, since these do most of the work for you. I personally have a weekly regimen of performing the optimizations since my machines sleep at night.

Disk Warrior is one utility that has paid for itself time and time again. Either correcting directory structure or defragging a drive, I have had very good luck with it. The thing with these *nix* flavored modern OS'es is the longer they run the smarter they get, they learn your usage habits if you will. But, they are Ram HUNGRY!

Your best bet is RAM up and keep up with the maint. not to mention keep your sys as mod/3rd party free as possible.

my 2 cents.

No, prebinding is simply "binding" libraries to applications that need them. It speeds up the launch of the application.

It's done completely automatically and transparently since OS X 10.3, so there's absolutely no need to ever manually update the prebinding information.

Back