OSX Browser!

WHICH BROWSER WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE WIN OSX DOMINATION?

• Internet Explorer

• Netscape Communicator

• Omniweb

• Mozilla

• Opera

• Icab

• Other/er..., I don't do the Internet, I got this poll through the post!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved Cyberdog. In its prime everything worked so well. I still can't find an email program that was as nice to use. I clung to it until it no longer worked with the more recent versions of Mac OS. Based on CD I had great expectations for Mail in OS X but those hopes were dashed.

Originally posted by blo
IE crashes
Mozilla good CSS but slow + crashes
OmniWeb nice render but slooow
iCab bad render
Opera nice but no mouse scroll

I'm still looking for a browser...

I've been running the Oct 6th build of Mozilla since that date and haven't had one crash yet. I absolutely LOVE the new tabs! I've removed IE from my dock, because I just don't use it anymore. If you haven't tried Mozilla in a few months, check out the latest builds; there's even a 0.95 branch available now...

Originally posted by neutrino23
I loved Cyberdog. In its prime everything worked so well. I still can't find an email program that was as nice to use. I clung to it until it no longer worked with the more recent versions of Mac OS. Based on CD I had great expectations for Mail in OS X but those hopes were dashed.

Well, Mail does have my favorite Cyberdog mail feature -- fast V-Twin indexed searching. I do agree, though, that the integrated feel of Cyberdog is nothing I've ever been able to duplicate in any suite of internet apps, on any platform.

I still feel, for example, that the Cyberdog notebook was the best bookmark/account/etc. management metaphor I've ever used. When paired with the embedding features of Cyberdocuments, it was unstoppable -- imagine a single window that could contain an embedded browser window, plus an embedded scrolling list of bookmarks, plus a newsreader. Now imagine being able to add custom artwork, and the ability to create several of these documents that you could organize by theme. You could have an "OSX" document that opened with an embedded macosx.com window, a scrolling list of other OSX bookmarks, an embedded view of comp.sys.mac.system, and a picture of Hexley in the upper right hand corner.

Now imagine being able to mail this environment document to another Cyberdog user.

Cyberdog had a few fatal flaws, of course:

1. It was completely reliant on OpenDoc, a surefire goner as soon as NeXT aquired Apple. (I know, I know, but for all practical purposes, that's what happened) As far as Steve was concerned OpenDoc was practically NIH.

2. It was running on underpowered hardware. Cyberdog was sluggish on the hardware of it's day (Quadras and first and second generation PowerMacs. It really would have benefitted from today's plentiful cheap RAM, fast processors and fast video cards. Not to mention that the heavily multithreaded implementation of CD/OD really screamed for an OS more robust than the Mac OS 7.1-7.6 that was mainstream when CD shipped. The crappy classic MacOS memory manager, indeed, was the cause of most Cyberdog crashes.

3. With Apple in financial trouble, they couldn't afford the engineering resources necessary to keep up with Netscape & Microsoft in implementing browser features.

I know it's a pipe dream, but for a while people were lobbying Apple to open the OpenDoc and Cyberdog projects so that others could try migrating them to current OS'es. Imagine Cyberdog's mailer (improved to support standards like IMAP) running alongside, say, an embedded Gecko browser part, utilizing Quartz along with new emerging features like web services... yummy.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
Anyone remember powermail that came with system 7.5 ?
THat was an innovation ;) Too bad they killed it.

I remember reading that, though it was a good idea, Powertalk (I think that's what the overall technology was called) had a really nasty API that was nearly impossible to program for. Developers wouldn't commit to it because of the steep difficulty curve and because at that time was developing and then quickly abandoning huge engineering projects at a dizzying pace (Powertalk, QuickDraw GX, OpenDoc, TrueImage, later on Copland, etc.) This was the Spindler era, when Apple would half-assed deliver a technology, then quickly give up on it.

I have 2 betas of copland ;)
I never tried to install them on my performa 635CD....
Perhaps I should ;) Get some screen shots he he he :D

Admiral

I voted Mozilla only becaue its the cousin of Chimera.

Why isn't Chimera listed as an option. It blows away the others.

I was just about to ask the same question. where is chimera? it is currently the ONLY browser I use, and is definitely the best.

Note to Mods: add chimera to the list

guys, pay attention. this is a really old thread. note that the last real post to it was made in oct. of last year. chimera didn't exist at that point. there have been several more recent polls that reflect this same info. someone just dredeged this up by making a vote to it.

in light of the changes that have taken place since this thread was active, i am closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back