OSX Core Duo to Core 2 Duo HD Swap

pipermalibu

Registered
I recently had to purchase a new 17" Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo to replace a Macbook Pro Core Duo that had a cracked screen in an emergency. I had previously upgraded the older Core Duo with a 200GB 7200 RPM drive. To get up and running quickly, I just did a hard drive swap. (it turns out the hd were the exact same model too) - everything runs fine...
When I got the replacement screen for the older MBP, I booted it up (it would boot, but barely functioned). So I put in the NEW DVD that came with the newer MBP instead of my older 10.5 DVD. It said it could not install on this computer... So reinstalled 10.5 off my older DVD. Everything works...

This brings about my question... obviously there is some difference in the OS between the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo - should I do a reinstall on the new MBP too? Am I cheating myself out of some type of performance? Or does the kernel know what to do, and it is 'Universal'?

If it works on the newer Mac just keep the drive there, and install the OS on the Mac you replaced the screen.
Are you going to keep both Macs? :)

I know it works, just wondering why the Leopard DVD that came with the new mac would not load on the older one of the same type?

Core Duo and Core 2 Duo are two different chips. The former is 32-bit while the latter is 64-bit.

Regardless, the OS X discs that come with a system are only meant to work with that particular system. Yes, the Core Duo MacBook Pro is a MacBook Pro, but the internal specs (most importantly, the CPU) vary from each revision of the MacBook Pro. Same for all of Apple's other Macs. So no, you can't use them on another Mac unless it's the same revision of the Mac that it came with. Only the retail version of Mac OS X (specifically Leopard) will install on any Mac, Intel or PowerPC.

Legally, you can only use that disc on one Mac....otherwise, you would be violating the EULA set by Apple, something that the mods on this forum hold to high regard as pointed out in the board rules. But I digress....

That misses my point entirely. I was not trying to violate anything. I switched hard drives, so I switched DVD's - no big deal, no violation.

My question was, is the OS that was originally installed on the Core Duo also ready and optimized for the Core 2 Duo - meaning is the kernel already to go for the 64 bit processor, or does it need to be reloaded?

That misses my point entirely. I was not trying to violate anything. I switched hard drives, so I switched DVD's - no big deal, no violation.

My question was, is the OS that was originally installed on the Core Duo also ready and optimized for the Core 2 Duo - meaning is the kernel already to go for the 64 bit processor, or does it need to be reloaded?

I was just making you aware in case you weren't aware. No harm done.

As for your question, just try it out. It won't hurt anything on your hard drive....at worst it would probably just kernel panic because it wouldn't support the CPU, but I doubt that would happen. If it boots, then check System Profiler and the About This Mac section to see what it says.

Back