OSX Crashes Frequently

cabuki

Registered
Computer Specs:
15" PowerBook G4 1GHz
512 MB DDR SDRAM PC2700 (2 x 256 MB)
Mac OSX 10.3.9

For the past 6 months or so, my PowerBook has crashed frequently. Sometimes, it will stay stable for days and other times, it will crash every few minutes. It's gotten to the point where it's unusable. I thought it might be bad memory, but swapping in known good memory didn't change anything and running memtest showed no problems. S.M.A.R.T. shows the HD as being in good shape.

I'd like to be able to pinpoint the exact cause of the crashes, but it seems completely random. It crashes while I'm surfing the web (Firefox 1.05), working with Eclipse (3.1), idling with just the screensaver running, and even while starting up. Actually, it usually freezes during the first restart after a crash. But never in the same place. Sometimes it will crash after making the startup sound - I hear the sound and the HD startup, but the screen doesn't turn on and nothing else happens. Sometimes, it crashes after I login, but before it's finished starting up.

Following the advice I found on this site, I've run disk permissions and disk utility from the startup disk to repair the HD. I've also reset Open Firmware (nvram and all). Nothing has helped.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am experiencing the very same problem with my new G5 1.8ghz. I was told it is a memory issue. I had a memory upgrade from the reseller, so Apple pointed to that right away. I took out one memory stick and got no better results. I was going to try each of the four and see what happens. I will keep my eye on this thread

Thank You
Tom

What if you create a new user and use that for a couple of hours? Same crashiness? (Let's find out it if't soft- or hardware related...)

wgwcp9np said:
[On Aug 11, 7:14pm Wgwcp9np wrote:]
I am having trouble with a basic install of OSX 10.3.2 on a 15" Powerbook
G4.

[On Aug 11, 7:32pm Cheryl P. wrote:]
Wg,
I am sorry to tell you that you do indeed have the limitation of the first 10 GB
for the OS X install. There is no other way around it.

You will need to re-partition the drive putting OS X on the first partition.

--------
Let me know if you need further assistance and thank you for using MacOSX.com !

Cheryl
Huh? There is no PowerBook 15" G4 model that is limited in some fashion to the first 10GB for an OS X install. This is just wrong advice.

Back