OSX panic

decypher9

Registered
Ok so i'll give u the whole story of what i was doing before my system did this,

I installed a new 120GB maxtor internal SATA drive. Drive was recognized without a problem. I then partitioned it as Free space.(I'm a 2 day old mac user). I then uninstalled pro tools LE from the main system drive and went to reinstall.. This time Pro tools did not let me select which drive to install as the first install did, instead if reinstalled on the system drive. So i thought i possibly choose the wrong partition for my new drive. I then tried mac partition, then that didn't work, i tried a Journaled partition. I then tried to open the txt editor to see if could save a file to the new drive to see if it would work. The program wouldn't open, no program would open after repeated clicks. Expose hot keys still worked. Eventually the system hung itself, and i had to reset. Now everytime i boot i get a PANIC: were hanging in here error along with such commands as: /root/blah blah blah : RELEASE_PPC
Stack, cpu: 0 ,
thinks like that, obviously not exactly typed and in that order....

Any help? how do i open the CD drive if i have to re install the OS? How do i get around this boot problem? what do i do? haha im a complete newb, i tried running the computer holding shift etc.. anything other combos i should try? thanks.

It sounds like the installer hosed your system up good. So to answer one of your questions about opening the CD drive, hold down the mouse button while the system first boots up (power on).

Now, do feel adventurous? If you do, there is a way to try to fix the system so maybe you have to do a re-install. There is a built-in Unix disk fixing program in OS X. Your have to boot (your Mac: Command(Apple button)+s) into Single-User mode. After booting into it (it will be black and white, command line only) and seeing the first line type: fsck -yf . If the machine comes with something wrong, then do the command over again until it reports back everything is good. Then after that just type reboot to boot back into normal mode.

Apple has an article on how to do a fsck.

If this doesn't help, then try the re-install. If you can't re-intall, call Apple.

Thank you thats exactly what i wanted to here. I was worried there'd be nothing i'd be able to try before having to send it in or something. I just didn't know where to start as im switching from PC. Don't know where anything is yet...better time then ever to learn command prompt for osx, got any good sources/links?

One more thing you can try, boot from the first install disk that came with your computer (put the disk in -re-start holding down the c button). Once it start up with the first install screen, select the menu Finder and open Disk Utility. Once that opens, select the boot up drive and Repair the Disk. See if that will help. If not, call Apple.

Back