OSX System Freeze

if you've still got those crashes, crash, bring the machine to your dealer or to apple. tell them you've tried everything you can, don't accept a 'good advice', let them test it and repair it, thoroughly. only accept the machine back if all runs as smoothly as you want it. and: request a machine for the time they'll need to repair it. it's a drag, but you've already spent so much time trying to find out the problem and your time is money too. or health. or happiness. whatever.

It sound so familiar that I had problem with B/W with MacOS X. I have no problem running 9.x then I switched to MacOS X and it often crash in different ways. I do the excatly what you do such as format and reinstall many time nothing works. What I do is that I took all rams of 786mb. I tested with Apple two 128mb and no crash. So I took two 128mb out and put third party 512mb and tested it again. It showed me that 512mb do crash my system. It's odd since system 9 work fine. So I called store and have it replaced. It work perfect for me. See if it work for you.

well, it did it again. honestly, i can say that i have tried EVERYTHING. there is no hope, i believe. as i mentioned earlier, the crash takes place in the following OSes:

AND

i've tested my ram THOROUGHLY trying various combinations of apple-only ram and third party as well. since the machine worked perfectly well at my job prior to bringing it home, i assume that either something environmental at my house is affecting it, or perhaps it was damaged in transit. since i have ruled out heat and vibration, as well as dirty power and network traffic, i can only assume that the machine was somehow damaged while bringing it home.

a firned suggested that due to a hairline crack in the motherboard, things like what i am experienceing may happen. especially with the expansion and contracting of the silicon while powered on from heat.

i have a few more little experiemtns to try, but i don't know if they'll help:
1.) swap processors with another machine. (from a G3 400 to my G3 450...)
2.) bring another machine home. this will entirely rule out any environmental problems.

yeah. thanks for all the help.

Hi,

As far as I know, system freezes in 10.1 almost always have to do with faulty hardware. My friend's PBG4 400 kept crashing (without kernal panic) and it turned out to be the motherboard, which apple replaced.

Now my G4 450MHz 450 is freezing in 10.2 but rumor has it that it is an OpenGL bug...

Hi,
jc658, since upgrading to 10.2 my G4 350 is also freezing, I can still use my mouse cursor but that's it. Is there a fix for the supposed OpenGL bug?

Crash, does your B&W have the Rev. A mobo? All Rev. A mobo's have documented drive corruption problems with slave drives on the onboard IDE chain. They also have corruption problems with almost all drives that did not come with the computer (replacement HD's). This caused me lots of grief for a substantial period of time. I ended up buying a PCI IDE card and haven't had any problems with it since. The problems I had were different from yours but it may have something to do with it. Although, if this was the case, I don't know why it wouldn't manifest itself in OS 9. Anyway, hope this helps.

Back