OSX vs. Windows

Viro said:
So.... I fail to see your arguments and I think you're just trolling. Firstly, you're saying that Macs are more expensive because you can cobble together a PC for cheaper. As Eldiablo pointed out, Macs don't cost too much compared to similarly configured PCs. Such cobbled together PCs aren't used by the majority of PC users, only the enthusiasts like yourself. By the above quote, you've basically agreed since how many home users know how to fix PC problems?

What would you pay for a machine that was easy to maintain and you didn't need to ask for favors from a technologically knowledgeable friend? Compared to Dells, HPs, and other large PC manufacturers, Macs don't cost too much.

Apple isn't the be all end all of computers. If they don't suit you, go elsewhere. Just because it doesn't fit your needs, doesn't mean it doesn't fit the needs of other people.

Seems like the idea of cost cutting isn't conveying here very well...

We'd all jump for joy if Apple slashed prices on all or some of their machines. We're not against lower prices here -- you'd have to be a fool not to be happy about a lower price.

We're just saying that we understand why Apple doesn't cut prices on their machines. Apple offers plenty of low-cost solutions for those that cannot afford a G5 tower machine.

Plus, Apple is not saying (nor are we saying) that purchasing an Apple machine for $XXXX.XX will get you hosepower on par with a PC that costs the same amount. There's a lot more built into Apple's pricing than raw horsepower -- just because it costs more doesn't mean it'll crunch a floating point operation quicker. If you think that's just crap coming from an Apple apologist, it's not... take a look at how comfortable we Mac users are with our computing experience (from the price to the OS to the computer) vs. how frustrated and/or unaccepting you seem to be with yours.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
...We're just saying that we understand why Apple doesn't cut prices on their machines. Apple offers plenty of low-cost solutions for those that cannot afford a G5 tower machine.

I think the problem is that a lot of people - at least the ones I know in PC land like the idea of towers because of their upgradability in terms of adding more drives as well as having better cooling solutions. Nobody wants to be boxed in.

Heck I'd guarantee that if apple released a single G4 1.25 or 1.42 in a 3/4 sized tower similar to the G5 towers for quite a bit less (but more than the price of the minis), that they would have a ton of sales. Maybe its just me thinking that but I'd never buy a mini. I dont see 'cute' as a reason to buy a computer. I want speed and sometimes speed is not just processor related but RAM and HD related...

Heck just take a G4 tower, toss in an SATA controller and a pair of WD raptors and tell me that wont feel like its more peppy than even a G5 for all but number crunching tasks :)

Anyway I will stop rambling. I know I'd buy a G4 tower with SATA support.

contoursvt said:
Heck just take a G4 tower, toss in an SATA controller and a pair of WD raptors and tell me that wont feel like its more peppy than even a G5 for all but number crunching tasks :)

Anyway I will stop rambling. I know I'd buy a G4 tower with SATA support.

I'll bite. It won't feel more peppy than a G5 :). That's due to the lack of FSB bandwidth the G4 suffers from. Unless of course, you're talking about the new dual-core G4 processors, which IMHO rock as they have an on-die memory controller (a la Athlon64/Opteron).

ElDiabloConCaca said:
We'd all jump for joy if Apple slashed prices on all or some of their machines. We're not against lower prices here -- you'd have to be a fool not to be happy about a lower price.

We're just saying that we understand why Apple doesn't cut prices on their machines. Apple offers plenty of low-cost solutions for those that cannot afford a G5 tower machine.

Plus, Apple is not saying (nor are we saying) that purchasing an Apple machine for $XXXX.XX will get you hosepower on par with a PC that costs the same amount. There's a lot more built into Apple's pricing than raw horsepower -- just because it costs more doesn't mean it'll crunch a floating point operation quicker. If you think that's just crap coming from an Apple apologist, it's not... take a look at how comfortable we Mac users are with our computing experience (from the price to the OS to the computer) vs. how frustrated and/or unaccepting you seem to be with yours.

I'll come out and say it-those problems I never had with windows-well, yesterday, she floated down the river and sank, to put my curse words midly hehehe.

I love the whole hardware upgradeabily aspect of it all though. I hope apple is at least wise enough to make a good solid x86 machine that is upgradeable after a wee bit.

I honestly love the iMac, it would be the perfect solution to getting rid of clutter around me. then maybe I could get a surround system going in here. :cool:

Hm. This thread moves closer and closer to its end. At the very beginning, I thought that the day would come when its title would become the subject, although at the beginning, it wasn't.

So let's just say: Two more trolling comments in this thread and we get rid of it. (So _one_ can still walk away freely, fryke? Are you sure?!) - No, I'm not. ;)

Back