OSX will not install on 2nd Drive

Ronman

Registered
I can't get OSX (Panther or Jaguar) to install on my second drive. I have a dual 450 that I added a WD 80GB drive to. Initially I just wanted to store my stuff and non-Apple applications there. The performance of the drive is so much better than the original, that I decided to use it for Panther, but it won't let me.

I have:

Zapped PRam
Booted with only one drive (the new one)
Removed my SCSI contoller
Checked Firmware (up to date)
Panther INSTALL not upgrade CDs

Does anyone have any ideas. No! I do not want to format and start over. I have too much stuff on this drive already. I just want to install Panther.

RonMan

Exactly what's happening when you try to install it? Will it not let you select that disk as an install disk? Does it crash partway through installing? Does it seem to install but not boot?

Can you use that secondary drive at all, meaning copy and read data and all that jazz, but it just won't install Panther/Jaguar on it? How is the drive jumpered? Is it connected to any kind of PCI ATA card?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Exactly what's happening when you try to install it? Will it not let you select that disk as an install disk? Does it crash partway through installing? Does it seem to install but not boot?

Can you use that secondary drive at all, meaning copy and read data and all that jazz, but it just won't install Panther/Jaguar on it? How is the drive jumpered? Is it connected to any kind of PCI ATA card?

Sorry I was not more explicit.

The drive works just fine. I have all of my apps (non-apple) on it and my users mounted on /Volumes/MyStuf.

The install of Panther (or Jaguar) will not let me select the drive. Drive info is as follows:

Name : MyStuff
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk0s1
Mount Point : /Volumes/MyStuff
File System : Mac OS Extended
Connection Bus : ATA
IO Content : Apple_HFS
Device Tree : mac-io/ata-4@1f000/@1:1
Writable : Yes
Capacity : 74.5 GB (80,023,716,864 Bytes)
Free Space : 62.1 GB (66,639,650,816 Bytes)
Used : 12.5 GB (13,384,065,024 Bytes)
Number of Files : 107,339
Number of Folders : 13,549
Permissions Enabled : Yes
Can Turn Permissions Off : Yes
Can Repair Permissions : No
Can Be Verified : Yes
Can Be Repaired : Yes
Can Be Formatted : Yes
Bootable : Yes
Supports Journaling : Yes
Journaled : No
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 1

I hope that helps.

RonMan

Hmmm.... when you say it won't let you select it, is it giving you a big, red circle-with-a-line-through-it (hehe... don't know the name of that symbol) or is the drive not appearing at all?

What error message does it give you when you click on the drive to select it? It should say something like, "You cannot install Mac OS X on this drive because..."

I'm thinking like this: you insert the CD, and since you already have Mac OS X installed on the 1st drive, the installer defaults to "Upgrade Install", and then says you can't install it on the 2nd drive, because there's no OS X installed on that drive to upgrade. Click the "Options" or "Install Options" or "Customize" button at the bottom and choose a clean install, then try to select the disk.

I don't know if you said this or not, but you're probably gonna have problems installing over that "Users" folder that's already on the 2nd drive. OS X may not like the fact that a "Users" folder already exists on that drive. You may need to back up the data on that drive and do a wipe (format) and install.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
What error message does it give you when you click on the drive to select it? It should say something like, "You cannot install Mac OS X on this drive because..."

I'm thinking like this: you insert the CD, and since you already have Mac OS X installed on the 1st drive, the installer defaults to "Upgrade Install", and then says you can't install it on the 2nd drive, because there's no OS X installed on that drive to upgrade. Click the "Options" or "Install Options" or "Customize" button at the bottom and choose a clean install, then try to select the disk.

I don't know if you said this or not, but you're probably gonna have problems installing over that "Users" folder that's already on the 2nd drive. OS X may not like the fact that a "Users" folder already exists on that drive. You may need to back up the data on that drive and do a wipe (format) and install.

You are correct about the messages, but it happens even if I disconnect the main drive on the system and only use the CD and the new drive. It just won't let me select the drive and gives the message above.

I cannot even select it and use the option to reformat. I can reformat in Disk Utility, but that option is on the end of the list.

The users folder problem can be handled with a little effort.

RonMan

About that error message, can you complete it? "You cannot install Mac OS X on this drive because (I need to know what it says here)".

Back