OSX10.4.8 out

I just saw this in software update and thought i must have missed it coming out. Off to DL combo now.

Data on changes here.

Can't notice any differences, all is well, didn't have the two restarts like other updates

The 10.4.8 Update is recommended for all users and includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for the following applications and technologies:

connecting to wireless networks using the EAP-FAST protocol
Apple USB modem reliability
using OpenType fonts in Microsoft Word
compatibility with 3rd party USB hubs
scanner performance
RAW camera support
printing documents with Asian language names
performance of the Translation widget
broadband network performance
security updates
For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n304200.

For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798.

Just reporting it in case somebody else finds the same problem.

After the 10.4.8 install and restart I had a kernel panic.

Now, I cannot get my machine to boot. (Define this as machine will start, gray screen with Apple comes up, disk seems to be reading/writing, then disk stops and machine hangs. If I leave it on long enough the fans start to go like crazy.) Won't boot from the Tiger DVD (pressing C during boot). Will not safe boot. Will not let me enter single user mode. I was able to get target firewire mode to work. Disk looks OK from my other box. Ran Disk Utility to make repairs. Same condition. Ran Disk Warrior. Same condition. Eventually, reinstalled 10.4 over firewire. Same condition. Tried unplugging all perifs and tried again. Same condition. Calling Apple. Not happy. :(

Dual 1.8 G5, 1.5G RAM.

Will

P.S. I saw one other reported case of this happening on the official Apple support forums.

The Apple tech took my call (over an hour) and we reset the PMU and held "option" during startup to get the startup disk screen to select a startup disk. Selected it and moved forward. No dice. Same condition. I'm copying my files off of this box now via target firewire mode. The final diagnosis is "Erase and Install." I'll post again to indicate how that goes.

BTW, a few more posts about this issue have cropped up on the Apple Support forums since my first post here.

Combo-updated, and all is well. Got a double-restart after installing update. Everything's cool here in Texas with 10.4.8. No noticeable change in anything -- being that most of the updates are all "under the hood" updates.

I like the updates to Rosetta, that make numeric code more accurate, and the improvements to the translation of Altivec instructions to SSE3. Gonna try it and see if Matlab runs any faster.

Have not installed yet (need to back up some things first), but I just read the info page and saw this:
Improves responsiveness of the Translation Dashboard widget.
YES! My current Translation widget is so unresponsive it defeats the purpose of using a widget; it'd be faster to just load up my browser. I'm looking forward to this, as I use translation services somewhat often.

loving the scroll zoom. i use zoom a lot anyway, so this is just cooler.

bw is there anyway to make my scrolling faster? it's already at it;s limit

10.4.8 almost doubled my download speed on Comcast.
Broke PithHelmet again and the fix isn't working.

I installed the update, and all is well. Two restarts as usual. PithHelmet is still working fine for me.

I used the combo updater and repaired permissions beforehand (seems like everything from the last iTunes update had incorrect permissions).

Back