Ouch

Microsoft must be really ashamed if they fire the guy for letting out one of their deepest secrets -- apple mac osx *is* better! They're gonna have a hard time running windows on that machine!
Maybe they are for developing Virtual PC G5, it doesn't work right and needs to be fixed.
(Or maybe they needed some material to make trash-cans :^)

Yea I bet it's for Virtual PC - htey need to fix that for the G5 asap. Why haven't they? Apple restricted G5's to them early?

With Virtual PC running on a G5 I bet it'll be just as fast as a P2..omg i want one now

why? that would be pretty worthless, considering I don't know anyone who would spend all the money to buy a mac and then downgrade the mac to windows. That's insane! think about it.... Then again, that's what VPC is in he first place, so maybe ms is doing it.

Considering M$ owns part of Apple, it's not unfeasible that the company ordered some G5s. Why not? There's plenty of not-sneaky reasons why M$ would want Macs. Though I agree that the suggestion of Windows for Mac is insabe. Arden, put down the crack pipe. :D

mr. K said:
don't buy vpc - bochs is a nice opensource windows emulator that should work fine - I got it and set it up awhile ago but didn't have a windows cd laying around to try and install windows on my mac. And I really didn't need too, either.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/bochs.html
well actually it looks like you can only run old versions of windows - but who cares ;^)

The fact that you never really "experienced" it is pretty obvious =)

It's a horrible, horrible, immature program. It's only appealing bit is that it is technically possible for it to emulate x86 hardware.

It's blown away in the compatibility, performance (by many times), UI (Bochs is command-line driven), and features (you won't find any nice HD management, undo disks, automatically extending disks, "virtual OS extensions" (for capturing mouse, drag and drop and clipboard support, etc), virtual switch, multiprocessor support, USB sharing, easy disk swapping, full screen support in one monitor, sound card support, more than 16/256 color support, etc) by both Virtual PC and VMWare Workstation. The only plus is that it's the only one that will actually run on my G5 - too bad it's not usable for me.

It would probably be MORE worthwhile for people to start lobbying for VMWare to port its software to other platforms, i.e. OS X.

Why is Microsoft getting a shipment of G5s a big surprise? I'm positive that Microsoft has always had at least quite a few Apple machines at their offices, since, hey, they DO produce a lot of Macintosh software. How do you think they test it? Or even write it?

Would you be surprised to find out that Apple has more than a handful of Windows machines at their offices?

Yes, he got fired, but not because the picture was of Apple hardware being shipped to Microsoft -- because this person was hired through a temp agency, signed a NDA, then broke the NDA by publishing a picture of equipment on a loading dock at the place of employment.

Most employers these days would forbid you to photograph your place of employment, especially any shipments coming in or out of the place. I know if I ran a company like that I'd forbid any kind of recording device inside company grounds... I'm sure Apple has even stricter NDAs than Microsoft!

If you read the post on his site he didn't actually work for microsoft. The guy was temping for an agency that was collaborating with microsoft on something, so it's not like he lost his job.

Now, I dislike Microsoft as much as the next Linux/Mac advocate, but I don't think their response to this employee makes them any worse than other companies in industry. Like the other guys were saying... you can't have an employee going around on a closed campus taking pictures... it's just not a good idea. And since this guy was just a temp, they would be foolish to feel any obligation to give him another chance.

The only reason I'm reiterating what others have pointed out is because I've seen many Mac users saying silly things on other message boards about this topic, but it really makes us look petty and ignorant. Microsoft has tons of Macs around for testing and graphic design purposes... I highly doubt that they're ashamed or trying to be secretive about this known fact. But when we go around saying, "Look, Microsoft uses Macs," and "Look, M$ sucks and they're mean to a Mac user because he uses Macs!" the whole community suffers. I hate seeing that.

Funny-- I do hope VPC becomes available for the G5 soon... they are probably have it ready and are just holding it back because they hate us :rolleyes:

Back