outgoing mail problems

littlebird

Registered
I have a G4 notebook. In the last couple of weeks I have been having problems with outgoing mail to other addies besides my provider Cox.net.

When I try to send mail I get a pop something about server not available.

I have had the unit to a local mac repair facility and they cannot identify a problem.

I am a writer and depend on my mail for my living.

I really need some help. I have contacted cox and they are no help

system
G4 notebook
os 10.4.6
just the out of the box McIntosh Mail

BTW I can send and receive from webb mail just fine, only a problem from my unit.

Settings are for pop etc are correct

To prevent the use of their facilities as a source of SPAM and other undesirable communications, many ISPs restrict outgoing mail to their own SMTP server. Use Cox's SMTP server for your problematic accounts.

Cox restricts SMTP port #25 outgoing from outside their servers. However they do use Microsoft Server 2003 and that has an end round SMTP port built into it. Just open Mail and go to Mail's preferences and in the Accounts send mail SMTP server go to advance and change the port to 587 to get around the Cox port 25 issue.

Thanks for the responses. The Mac shop still has the notebook and tried the 587 port and its still unable to send except to other Cox addies.

They have given up and asked us to pick up the notebook. I can't believe that there is no solution to this problem. It's hard to imagine a computer that I cannot do my emailing except thru webmail.

I ran across a reference to a 465 port. Should I try this port and if so could someone provide a path so I can find it to make the change.

Not all that great with computers.

Thanks again for you help.

Mary

Well we got mail to go out to non-cox addresses. Not sure if it will stay OK but what we did was change the smtp to central.cox.net. We live on the West cost and was using the west smtp. Again not sure whats going on but as long at it works and stays working I am happy. Also went back to port 25 after trying 465.

littlebird, As I told you before, you are dealing with the design and restriction of your ISPs rather than your computer. As for Cox, there is no Cox. Cox is a patchwork of smaller cable companies and franchises acquired by Cox over the past 10 years or so. Like yours, my SMTP server is smtp.central.cox.net. Elsewhere in my state, Cox subscribers require a different SMTP server. Things have only going to get more interesting because most Cox franchises in this state have been sold to Cebridge and are now known as SuddenLink. I do not look forward to another involuntary ISP change.

Back