Outlook 2011

jwolf6589

Registered
I hope I have the right board. Has anyone used Outlook 2011? If so what do you think? I am am still using 2004. Its got allot more features than Mail (although Mail is much faster). I would like to upgrade but want to hear what others say first. I also wonder if it would be worth it, since I am no longer a student and all use of MS Office at the job is done there on a Windows PC. I do not take my work home.

John

IMHO, the purpose of Outlook 2011 is to access Exchange Server. Also, use Outlook 2011 if you like Microsoft's way of doing things. A lot of Mac users prefer Microsoft's kitchen sink philosophy of software development. It you are one of them, then have at it.

A few comments about Outlook 2011:
  • It is the latest version of Entourage EWS with a new name and support for Outlook:win file formats.
  • Outlook 2011 provides full Exchange support for Exchange Server 2007 or later. Mail/Address Book/iCal in MacOS X has the same support, arguably with fewer features. The iOS version of Mail from Apple supports Exchange Server prior to 2007, but Outlook 2011 from Microsoft does not. But, I digress...
Software is a tool. If Outlook 2011 solves your problem, the buy it. If not, then spend your money elsewhere.

Office 2011 is one big step up in my opinion with one BIG issue. Outlook 2011 can not sync the calendar with any other calendar. That killed it for me because I need to be able to sync my work calendar on my laptop and vise versa. There is no way at all right now. They say there will be but no ETA yet.

Back