Overview of iPhone 4S from Mac Community

chemistry_geek

Registered
Hi All,

Just wondering what experiences members of the Mac Community have had with the new iPhone 4S. I work in New York City for a pharmaceutical company treating cancer and a few people in our company have received their latest iPhones. I ordered one and am on a long waiting list to get it. One of our IT guys received one the day of release through the Sprint network. As of today his iPhone 4S has received 32GB of data under 'Usage' and he uses Siri quite a bit. Just wondering if others have found high data usage using Siri or issues with battery life. I plan on using the AT&T network with the basic 2GB/month plan since that network seems to be, from what me and my co-workers have found to be battery-friendly.

Any opinions welcome.

Best regards,
Chemistry_geek

Received my iPhone 4S the 2nd week of December. Like my work BlackBerry, the battery life is not what I expected. I went to the Apple Store on 14th Street and 9th Avenue in NYC to inquire about how to extend the battery life. If you are like most people who do not travel often, go to Location Services > System Services and turn off everything. These run in the background communicating with cell towers draining your battery and nibbling away at your data plan. Also, terminate any apps you're not using because they require resources in the background. Go to the Home screen, press the Home button twice and terminate any applications you're not currently using. When I know that I'm not expecting any phone calls, I put the phone in airplane mode and turn off Cellular Data. For people who work in NYC where new buildings can block cell phone reception, this can extend your battery life. So far I can get 2 days of use on a single charge, turning cellular data on and off to check email, Facebook, surf the web, and access Siri. I charge my work BlackBerry before I leave for work in the morning and have to plug it in to keep it charged at work otherwise it is dead before the end of the day.

Sounds as if you need something like the Mophie Juice Pack Plus Case. It will help a lot in your situation. Plus remember if you just turn down the display brightness on their iPhone 4s and it will add almost an hour to the charge.

I forgot to mention turning down the display brightness - I have it set to about 25%. This will help with extending battery life.

Now that Apple has established itself as a technology leader, it would be nice to have it allocate resources to improve batteries in general. If any company could improve on the Voltaic Cell, I think Apple is in the position to do it.

Back