Page shifts approx 1px to the left when loaded??

wicky

play thing
I have been given this website to amend (http://www.newisraelfund.org.uk). Some of the pages jump (approx. 1px) to the left when loaded.

What causes this to happen? Although the pages don't appear to be linked to a template page, I'm sure that they must have all started out the same, if not created from the same master page.

Is there an easy way to rectify this problem?

Cheers

I think I saw what you're talking about on the News>Stories page...seems to be the loading of the content causing it. It jumps a bit over momentarily on load then returns to the proper spot. That was in Safari. In Opera, there's no jumps until you switch from a page that doesn't have a scroll bar to one with. IE has a problem loading the pages with any speed, so I didn't bother with it. Firefox doesn't do it for me, but on the pages that jump in Safari the "content area" box looks to be a bit too large width wise...a px or two.

I just wanted to ask whether you're sure it's not just the scrollbar appearing on longer pages, which _of course_ pushes the centered page a tad to the left...?

Possibly, but it only happens on a few pages (the longer ones) even though all pages have a horizontal scrollbar when I view it. Most likely the cause is a pause while the content loads.

A possible fix could be to streamline the code...as it could use some major surgery, a lot of unnecessary and non-sematic things in there. Nasty looking in a text-based browser and an accessibility nightmare (screen-reader users nightmare). That could be a major problem with the Disability Discrimination Act.

I do see a much smaller shift to the left as the page loads, but it "snaps" back into place once all the content is loaded. Pages that did this when loading don't do it when loading the page again from the cache...

I think mdnky's explanation is correct -- the 1-pixel shift is probably caused by certain bits of code in the page and is strictly an artifact of the page loading.

Thanks for your help guys

mdnky said:
A possible fix could be to streamline the code...as it could use some major surgery, a lot of unnecessary and non-sematic things in there. Nasty looking in a text-based browser ......

Yes, too true.... am only being paid to make some content updates though.

Back