Panther (10.3) Rumor Screenshot Mockup

Ricky

Registered
This is a mockup screenshot of the three major Panther rumors floating around currently: System-wide brushed interface, new aqua look, and piles. I created this using Photoshop and Interface Builder, as well as some existing images from Safari and the system itself.
http://www.anim8.biz/panther.jpg
Once again, this is JUST A MOCKUP to help people visualize how 10.3 is going to look.

I think that system-wide brushed metal interface rumor turned out to mean that all apps people used average everyday tasks, such as mail and web browsing, would have a brushed metal interface.

looks nice... if that would be panther, i am willing to pay for it, as apposed to waiting till 10.4.......

Great mockup. I hope that if they do decide to do system wide brushed metal that they have a preference to be able to switch between the 2 themes. I can't imagine 10.3 only have just the new features mentioned above for such a big release. Maybe it'll be a 64-bit OS?

Originally posted by pwharff
Great mockup. I hope that if they do decide to do system wide brushed metal that they have a preference to be able to switch between the 2 themes. I can't imagine 10.3 only have just the new features mentioned above for such a big release. Maybe it'll be a 64-bit OS?
Well, if they make it completely brushed, it will more than likely be a preference. The rumor is that it will be 64-bit to go with the PPC 970.

I like it Ricky! Nice work!
There better be an option for the brushed interface though... I like it, but I could imagine that I wouldn't like it all the time.

Unrelated question: what is that red Fireworks icon in your dock?

Thanks. :D Photoshop work, mostly... Interface Builder, Photoshop, and some images from around the system were used. That's all. I don't theme anymore; it messes lots of things up. :p
I spent around 8 hours on the mockup too. 54 layers. That's more layers than I've ever put to use before. :D

I hope they allow us to remove brushed metal, because it really has reached overkill. Quicktime works, but other than that, it really took on a life of its on. Safari has a nice balance, while iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, and most definitely iChat just over uses it.

Yeah I have to agree with Urban. There's something about brushed metal ... it's just cold looking or something. It works OK on some apps, but definitely not the Finder and menu bar. What's wrong with the gloss white used now (minus the pin stripes). It's simple and elegant ... you get too much going on at once in the UI and it will start looking bloated like XP.

I like the brushed look. It will go with the iBook. There should be a preference where you can load and create your own themes.

As much as I appreciate your effort, I really hope this is nowhere near how panther will look. I am one of those who have their sphincter tighten at the mere mention of brushed metal.

It's alright, you guys! :p The reason I created this is so you could see how OS X would look if they decided to add in the option for brushed metal!

I'm not downing your work, thats tight, I just feel that brushed metal has gone a little too far. Full-screen (all in one apps) use is just not the way. And notice all high end Apple do not use it, while the lower end ones do. Apple is going for a uniform look for that market, and it really isn't a good all around look to flow across a chain of apps.

ditto.

although, everyone jumped overboard when people reported apple would have everything brushed metal. what they meant was evey apple APP would be brushed metal... which is ugly enough. the entire UI is not going to be brushed metal like that picture.

if you think about it. all this means is there are 2 or 3 apps they will most likely change: mail.app, sherlock, and maybe the next incarnation of appleworks. other than that, most of the other apple apps are already brushed metal.

Originally posted by wtmcgee
oh and where'd you get that desktop wallpaper? it's absolutely beautiful.
/System/Library/Screen Savers/Beach.slideSaver/Contents/Resources :) I'm using Beach06.jpg.

Back