Panther and Britannica

Chris Belwinds

Registered
Since I have upgraded to Mac OS X 10.3 Panther on my G5 1.6 Ghz everything works like a charm. Well, just like it used to with 10.2.8, only a bit more elegantly...

The only problem I have faced so far is an incompatibilty with the Encyclopedia Britannica 2002 Standard Version CD (Win/Mac). I can start the software, but when I actually try to do a search, Britannica quits unexpectedly with some Java error message:

Date/Time: 2003-11-14 19:59:44 +0100
OS Version: 10.3.1 (Build 7C107)

Command: JavaApplicationStub (/Applications/Britannica 2002 SE/Britannica.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub)
PID: 3082
Thread: 19

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x7c0802a6

... (continues for like 50 more lines)

I think I do have the correct Java version, though:

java version "1.4.1_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-99)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-27, mixed mode)

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Or could anyone please try if Britannica works with Panther on other machines? Thanks in advance!

Chris Belwinds said:
Since I have upgraded to Mac OS X 10.3 Panther on my G5 1.6 Ghz everything works like a charm. Well, just like it used to with 10.2.8, only a bit more elegantly...

The only problem I have faced so far is an incompatibilty with the Encyclopedia Britannica 2002 Standard Version CD (Win/Mac). I can start the software, but when I actually try to do a search, Britannica quits unexpectedly with some Java error message:

Date/Time: 2003-11-14 19:59:44 +0100
OS Version: 10.3.1 (Build 7C107)

Command: JavaApplicationStub (/Applications/Britannica 2002 SE/Britannica.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub)
PID: 3082
Thread: 19

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x7c0802a6

... (continues for like 50 more lines)

I think I do have the correct Java version, though:

java version "1.4.1_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-99)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-27, mixed mode)

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Or could anyone please try if Britannica works with Panther on other machines? Thanks in advance!

http://www.britannica.com/psychedelic/scene/woodstock.html

Attachments

• britannica.jpg
    britannica.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 8
Did you check their web site? Maybe they are working on a patch? Do they have a message board, perhaps other have found similar problems, and found a work around. Sorry I am no direct help to you.

If you upgraded to Panther, and didn't do a clean install, check your Software Update to see if the new Java 1.4.1 is there. If not, go to Apple's software downloads and get it and see if it helps.

If you did a fresh install of Panther, this will already be on your system.

bobw said:
If you upgraded to Panther, and didn't do a clean install, check your Software Update to see if the new Java 1.4.1 is there. If not, go to Apple's software downloads and get it and see if it helps.

If you did a fresh install of Panther, this will already be on your system.

No, it's not a Java problem in itself I think. I have Java 1.4.1. Britannica.com does not offer any patches yet. They don't even bother to answer my emails. Great company... ::evil::

i was wondering if anybody found a solution for using britannica on panther? still the same problem, absolutely no help from britannica support...

all best,
tench

Back