Panther and broadband

John Dodds

Registered
Can anyone recommend the simplest way to get Panther up and running with broadband?

Sadly, my ISP (Freeserve) doesn't even support the original System X, and nobody else seems to, either (at least here in Scotland).

I can get a broadband supplier, so my question is what is the best economical hardware for a home user. Someone suggested an ADSL router/modem. Is that simplest? And if I only use one machine, do I really need a router? (Okay, I hope to play online games with my PS2, if that can be accommodated, but that's non essential).

Grateful for some simple, easy to understand advice - I am a non-techie.

The routers are nice not only for allowing more than one machine to access the internet through the same point, but also because of built-in firewall services.

It's usually better to have the firewall seperate from the system(s) that need to be protected.

Demand that your ISPs support OS X, btw. Write letters.

Usually when an ISP claims that they don't support OS X it just means that they won't tell you how to set up your machine to use their service. Most broadband services are very simple to set up, with most using either PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet, which OS X supports natively, usually with DSL) or are use simple DHCP (like cable), both of which are a snap to set up under OS X.

If you wanna play online with the PS2, get a router. Routers also make connecting to the internet via PPPoE much simpler, because the router handles the authentication and you can set each computer to just use the router as a DHCP server, basically eliminating the need to set anything up on the computers themselves!

Talk to any broadband ISP and see what they offer in terms of PPPoE or DHCP or what, report back here, and we'll help you make the best decision. Broadband is NOT platform-specific, they just use different methods to connect, like PPPoE or DHCP. Some ISP require that you install software, which would pose a problem, other ISPs recommend that you install software, which isn't a problem, and most ISPs don't require that you install anything.

I am with NTL broadband in England and have been for 12mths. When I signed up to them they said they only supported OS9 (that might have changed now) but doesn't mean it won't work with OS X. I haven't had 1mins bother at all. When the cable was installed, I just connected the free modem to my iMac and that was it - online. No fuss, drivers etc. Instant plug n play!! I have a 600k connection for 24.99/month

Back