Panther Bugs and Incompatibilities (Post here)

Bill: Try repairing your permissions.

I looked through my preference files to try to determine which (if any) control screen brightness, but I couldn't find anything so I couldn't tell you which preferences to toss if the above didn't work.

Well I didn't see this posted:
When I have icons on the desktop, especially pictures with a preview of the picture as the icon (especially as saved by Photoshop), and I select a few of them, and drag them, the Finder instantly crashes. (Everything disappears, and then the Finder comes back after a few seconds.) This never happens with normal icons... only picture preview icons, or mixes of those and regular icons. Very frustrating. Existed Pre 10.3.2 as well...

Have installed Panther on my iMac 400mhz but the 'cubin' will not work when fast changing logged users. I installed it on my 800mhz G4 at work and that works OK.

Any help appreciated. :)

I've had no problems at all with Panther.

Did a clean install (but did a "repair" with disk ut. both before AND after the installation).

I wanted to do an "Archive install" and did that firstly.
Got into trouble there, so I went back and wiped everything with a sprinkly, new and shiny Panther installation.

Of course, I have no illusions of that every app. that I used (small or big) will run on Panther without at least an upgrade or so.
Those that were not upgraded for Panther I avoided (had many smaller haxies and apps backed up that I threw away).
Actually, I try to stay clear from as many "trixing" apps as possible, for now.

I think that (since Panther is rather new) it would be wise to give it some time to get rid of the bugs (that I, thank God, have not encountered...knock on wood).

Regards,
/G

Hi Cap...

For the 'cubin' effect you need a Mac that has a 16 MB or higher graphics card (has to be compatible too, ie Nvidia, ATI). Thats why you see it on your G4 and not on your iMac.

Cheers

eric

hi

since installing panther , everytime i try to open desktop/screensaver , system prefs immediately crashes - have downloaded10.3.2 which hasn't made any difference and run repair disk permissions which also hasn't helped. am running an ibook 5oomhz g3 , 640mgs ram.
any ideas would be much appreciated
thanks

satnam

Did you do an Archive and Install? Do you still have any menu extras that open the defunct Desktop Preferences Pane? If so, disable that old pane!

i had this desktop / screensaver problem myself, for a few days. Then one day it fixed itself and hasn't come back since.

1) SMB no longer works. Worse, connect to server is no longer an option.

2) Second, no matter how many times I've run PRAM on my G4 laptop, the dang fan is blowing again a day or two later,

Arden said:
Bill: Try repairing your permissions.

I looked through my preference files to try to determine which (if any) control screen brightness, but I couldn't find anything so I couldn't tell you which preferences to toss if the above didn't work.

I thought this did the trick, but after a couple of restarts my monitor went dim again. :mad:

Lightwave 3d 7 : The graph editor in the layout section crashes the programme when the user clicks on the timeline

Back