Panther Features, what have you found?

TextEdit's ability to open/save as Word doc's has been found... which raises speculations. ;)

System Preferences is multi threaded, so something like Startup disk won't stop you from going to a different control panel.

Preview is 10(or more) times faster at viewing PDFs!

It's faster than the new version of Acrobat reader, in both starting up and viewing the PDF.

Apple has done an amazing job speeding it up compared to the Jaguar version.:D

Activity Monitor will show how much data has been transfered on your network.

I don't know when/if it resets.

Attachments

• network.jpg
    network.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 83
Hmm. Strange bug in the open dialog box. I couldn't select this image to attach. Nothing showed up in the dialog box. Quit Safari and reopened it and now I can attach this.

Attachments

• systemprofiler.png
    systemprofiler.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 82
Directory Access program
Allows you to setup Active Directory integration, among other things. I can't test that cause I'm not on a Windows network.

Attachments

• directoryaccess.png
    directoryaccess.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 62
You now have network setup assistant. Very handy tool for configuring a network connection quick.

In the system preferences, Network area. Select a network connection like built in ethernet, and at the bottom there is a button that says Assist me...
That brings up an assistant app.

Also something to notice in that window is preliminary support for configuring IPv6.

He he, I think they mean, 'oops, we left the old 'X' logo in, instead of the new Panther one!'

Check this out. Now you can securely empty the trash from within the Finder!
1, 7, and 35 passes over the file when deleting, which writes over the file with random data making it harder to recover after deleting. At 35 passes, you are never going to recover the data.

7 passes is the DOD standard I think.

Attachments

• secure empty.png
    secure empty.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 86
Panther looks even more beautiful. The Aqua look has been 'Renevated', so now it looks smoother, and seems easier on our delicate eyes.

The calulator app is a lot faster too. Before, when you used the number pad to enter numbers, there would be some lag before the numbers would show up. Now it's instant.

This might just be faster event handling in Panther.

Back