Panther, How fast does it "Run"

X.3 for a beta is very fast AND VERY stable.. yes it is my main OS on My iMac 700 Flat panel.. works as a charm.. and the thing flies on my Dual 867 .. on the pro note... TEXT EDIT saves as .doc files now... the office replacementst sounds near.. on the cons.. no colorsync... or at least i haven t noticed it..
My 2 cents..; if you use your computer for home use and don t need TOAST go for it ... even if it is a beta you ll love it..
if you use it for work.. well Jag is great.
Hope this helps.

Oh Medal Of Honour Spearhead works Great .... well as it did on Jag.

Machine: TiBook 1ghz-1GB RAM. Running Panther off of iPod 3G 15GB.

Overall, the entire OS feels snappier. Whether or not this is legitimate speed or perception is left up to the individual. Apple has sped up the "sheets" animation, which was way to slow. It now comes sliding down so fast that you aren't sitting there waiting for it.

It's still got lots of debug code, so I'm sure it's only going to get faster...

I enjoy X because it's so stable.

I'll wait for the release of X.3. In the mean time I enjoy your benchmarks... the meal is better when the appetite has grown.

Originally posted by hugheba
How many disks is this install?

Three disks, just like Jaguar:

Disk 1: System (& included apps)
Disk 2: Applications (iApps etc.)
Disk 3: Developer Tools (Xcode Beta)

Speed difference (said it on some website)
On a G4 1 GHZ

----

------

----------

---------------

In my TiBook 1GHz/DVD-R model it runs amazingly fast... It feels somewhat faster than Jaguar too!

BUT...

Too many little and at the same time annoying bugs here and there! Some parts are missing here and there or seem not to be in place if you prefer :rolleyes: So far, for a PREVIEW it is amazingly stable!

However, it has so many little things and at the same time some heavyweight too which make it a MUST buy OS X upgrade!

My 1st, 2nd and all other thoughts on Panther until I've actually used it are totally trashed! Panther looks and feels an amazing OS X evolution to say the least and Apple is only going to improve it until the end of this year! I'm happy so far because I don't know if this is the year of the portables but it sure is the year of Apple consumers: :p
-12" and 17" PB
-New iPod
-iTunes 4/iTunes Music Store
-iSight/iChat AV
-Safari GM
-Cheaper PowerMacs G4 until...
-G5 ones!
-FCP4, Shake 4, DVD Studio Pro 2, etc.
-And of course Panther :D

Originally posted by i.panther
I've noticed that journaling is standard set on. When you disable it, it goes a lot faster

...did you notice if the system becomes unstable or something after disabling the Journaling? :cool: Let us know please! :D

It shouldn't become unstable... AFAIK journaling maintains a database of changes / actions so that in the eventuality of a crash, data can be saved by checking whether the changes / actions have been completed and re-doing them if necessary.

For a simple home-user it is quite exaggerated as fail-save and you should be able to turn it off without any problems at all. IIRC this feature is already present in Jaguar... not sure ... hidden somewhere.

I'll leave it on for the moment. It's a beta after all, and it's one more safety net. Of course, speed is a bit better without it.

I know that it shouldn't become unstable but still if Apple enables it by default even in the Preview version there has to be a reason for this! Anyways, just like Fryke, me too, I'm keeping it on just to be on the safe side... :D

Maybe it's on by default because it's a beta system, so if something happens there's less chance of loosing data.

Just a general warning/reminder. We're going to assume that the people discussing Panther in this thread, have a legal copy. (i.e. at this point the only way to have a legal copy is to A: Work for Apple or B: Be an Apple developer.)

That being said, please refrain yourself from requesting a copy or asking where you can download a copy of the software.

But feel free to ask any Panther related questions. You have a great opportunity to see if the OS is all you expected it to be so you can be an informed consumer.

Key word "consumer".

:p

Back