Panther install freakout--help!

fongster

Registered
I was about to launch the install on my G4 and the installer said that my OSX version could not be updated (too old? it's 10.0.4). So under options, it says I can basically erase the volume and install new. I read further that means erase the disk's contents (like my OS9.2 and everthing else). Is that correct? It says back up everything prior. I take it that means I would need to reinstall Classic and all my apps.? Ugh! Is there an easier way than what they say? What if I just trash all the old OSX stuff first as if it was never installed? Or just do it the way they say or if you know of another way that would be great as I hate to lose everything and have to reinstall and reset prefs. Thanks!

There should be an Archive and Install Option, this will save all your old and replace it with a new system, but keep all the old stuff. Now as far as upgrading from that version, that i don't know, since i upgraded each time. I haven't done this in a while, I think you have to click custom to see the options.

I just found an upgrade disk that I never opened when I first got the machine. It takes OS 10.0.4 that came installed up to 10.1

I think 10.1 is "upgradeable" per Panther's install notes. Can't hurt to try.

It's worth pointing out that you should back your mac up _at least_ every month.

If you want the best out of your mac after the Panther update, then you do what I did; back everything up, wipe the disk and start from scratch.

Here's the rule of thumb: small updates [X 10.3.x] I install as an update, big updates [X 10.x] I back up, wipe and start from scratch.

One day lost to big re-install means that I have a fast, clean, fresh system .. I learnt this through bitter experience...

Octan,
If I back up and do a "clean install" how do I deal with all my applications. Can I just move the applications back to the original drive from the back up or do I need to install them from installers?

Thanks,

P

Your best bet would be to re-install those applications rather than copying them back -- the installer CDs will make sure all the files associated with that application are put in their correct places around your system. Some applications have files in other locations other than your Applications folder.

Some you can copy back on, others will kick off the moment you open them up; typically asking for a serial number.

Always do an audit on your system, go through all of your applications to determine what you need and what you don't:

Preferences & Settings
- Be sure to go through all of your preferences in the System Preferences application. This is the biggest single cause of frustration when updating your computer. Be thorough and go through every preference pane and copy out _all_ of the settings and then write them down on paper.

- Go through your favourite applications and make a note of certain settings. With applications like Address Book, you can even export all of the card data.

- If like me, you have over 8 gigabytes of music in iTunes, you have a problem. So you need to be sure you have an external hard drive large enough to store all of your temporary stuff, like applications, games, presentation materials et cetera.

Passwords & Registrations
- No doubt you have username & passwords stored on your computer. These can be for anything from web site log-in sessions to certain software on your computer.

- Also, if you have commercial software on your computer, then you may very well have had to enter a serial code at some point. Sometimes, these registration details will not carry across since the software often deposits registration details in some obscure and often hidden file.

Internet & Mail
- If you're using Mail, then you need to go to your Home folder -> Library -> Mail and then back this up. Then, Preferences -> com.apple.mail.plist and back this file up, also.

- If you're using Safari, then you need to go your Home folder -> Library -> Safari and then back this up. Then, Preferences -> com.apple.Safari.plist and back this file up, also.

- If you're using Address Book, then you need to go your Home folder -> Library -> Application Support -> Address Book and then back this up. Then, Preferences -> com.apple.AddressBook.plist and back this file up, also.

- The above rules will pretty much apply for most other OS X-savvy software. The best thing to do may be to just back up your entire Library folder, as I did, rather than in a piecemeal fashion.

Work & Documents
- Should go without saying, but be sure to back up all of your private and personal stuff. How many times do we think: 'but I backed that up last week!' and then realise that the day after the back up you made a major change .. we've all been there!

Ocatne, Thanks for the very clear "how to" instructions. Looks like I have lots of prep to do before I attempt the "clean" install. This is the only thing that I don't like about Unix or Windows based machines, the fact that admin on them is so difficult. Admin on OS9 and below was a snap. This is something that Apple needs to think about. Some sort of auto admin features that would be more then just backing up the system and data.

Thanks again,

P

hdmac: You are right, OS X is a much different beast than OS 9, but I think we'll see that as the system matures over the next year or years, it'll be much better than OS 9 ever was.

octane covered pretty much all the bases on backing stuff up. One thing I didn't see in his post was your iPhotos, and if you let iPhoto organize all your photos for you, then the only thing you need to back up to retain all your libraries and photos and such is the "/users/(your username)/Pictures/iPhoto Library" folder. For iTunes, if you let iTunes organize all the music, then you need to back up "/users/(your username)/Music/iTunes" folder. If you have MP3/AAC/WAV files elsewhere, like on an external drive, back those up as well.

Good luck! I think you'll find 10.3 much more satisfying than 10.0.

Back