panther, on TIbook g4 500 rev a Kernal Panic !!! HELP !!!

TRITON

Registered
Hi i have a powerbook g4 500 rev a, with 512 meg ram, i am trying to install panther, and i get kernal panic. i tried internal drive, external, firewire cdrom, same thing. i read about upgrade firmware, but i can only find, version 4.1.8, and my system info sais i have rom version 4.1.8/5.
can anyone help ? thanx

I did zap the pram, like you say. still no luck, i am not too sure now what to do. think i might try a new hard drive. really upset with panther though. if my mac cant take it , its going for sale. GRRRR feels like i am playing with Windoze again. GRRRR, LOLL :mad:

TRITON said:
I did zap the pram, like you say. still no luck, i am not too sure now what to do. think i might try a new hard drive. really upset with panther though. if my mac cant take it , its going for sale. GRRRR feels like i am playing with Windoze again. GRRRR, LOLL :mad:

More information--
When do you get the kernel panic? inserting the CD? rebooting to the installer? Does the installer start at all? Do you get to the first install screen? If so, can you select the Disk Utitlity from the install menus at that screen, and can you Repair the hard drive?

If most, or all of these is a nogo, do you have ANYTHING external attached to the PowerBook? Have you added any non-Apple RAM to your PB?

Are you booting off the Panther CD or trying to install from just inserting the CD?

all of the above. i have nothing attached to teh PB, i have only factory 512 ram it came with.
if i boot off the cd or from the installer that makes me reboot, from the internal cd rom drive it freezes at the apple logo, after it boots. if i use the external firewire cd rom, it get further to the little spinning thing under the logo then i get the multi lingual panic.. thanx
for all the help, i appreciate it.

Back