Panther or Jaguar as a Server?

NovaScotian

Registered
I want to use an upgraded Beige G3 desktop as a low-traffic server running Apache/MySQL/PHP/pMachine and also as my gateway machine (10base-T to cable modem, 100base-T to LAN) running IPNetRouterX/IPNetSentry.

Jaguar is a relatively straightforward install on a Beige but Panther requires the help of XPostFacto, can't use the built-in video card, and has problems with some SCSI drives.

In terms of core services (like running Apache or MySQL) is there any fundamental difference between 10.2 and 10.3? Is Panther's MACH/BSD core a sufficient upgrade to be worth the hassle for core applications? I have CDs for both systems.

For your stuff, Panther ain't worth the hassle. Jaguar's more than good enough for this.

My son wanted to do the same thing and he chose Linux on a PC instead. You can do the same thing on the G3, without the GUI overhead of Panther or Jaguar.

Just a thought,

Mikey

What gui overhead? a gateway machine (or any server for that matter) should just be sitting at a login screen

I would bet you a dinner or a six-pack I could find more machines logged in and sitting at the Finder than at the login screen.

I just like the low overhead of Linux versus the baggage of a GUI. Actually would rather do all my work in Terminal, but that's cause i'm old.... :D

Mikey

The only thing I can see wrong is that some security issues may still exist in Jaguar that are fixed in Panther. You will want to update to the latest Apache to fix any security holes, and firewall off anything else you don't need such as SSH, FTP etc. If you need SSH you should update it to the latest version that Apple uses in Panther if you can.

I am using 10.1.5 on a 9500 and I really need to update it to the latest SSH server cause I think there was a fix in a later OSX release.

That, and staying ontop of other updates will be your only problem.

Im not saying that Servers WILL be sitting at the login box, but they should be. If you want to reduce overheads even more, create a user called ">console" without the quotes and set that user to automatically log in. then the machine will automatically drop out of the aqua environment and back to a command line login.

Just to respond to a few posts, my setup is to use my old Dell 200 MHz with RedHat 9 totally headless, I just use Apple's X11 to log in over XDMCP when/if I need to, which is practically never. That's one (IMO) huge drawback of OS X - to do something like that you need to use with VNC which is really slow, or Apple Remote Desktop which is not free.

To get to the point, I'd agree with installing Jaguar (since it's simpler) and updating the utilities (like openSSH, ftpd, etc.).

Why not something like YellowDog Linux instead? Since it does not sound like you'd be using any Apple specific features.

Back