Panther & OS 9.2.2 on seperate drives and other questions

strunz

Registered
Hi, OS Xers!! I need some advice...

1) I have a B&W G3/400 with 1 GB RAM running OS 9.2.2, which I LOVE, and to which most of my software is designed for. Late last year, I installed Panther on another G3 on a seperate drive, figuring I'd have the best of both worlds. However, switching back and forth seemed to really mess up the OS 9 drive. Since then, I discovered that that computer's CPU was verstunken. Now, I want to repeat the process on THIS computer, but I'm a bit gun shy. Should such an arrangement indeed foul up the OS 9 drive?

2) Can files or documents be transferred from one disk to another without danger?

3) In OS 9, I have a Data folder, with subfolders, so that I can keep all documents in one place. I couldn't seem to accomplish this in Panther; it seems to put stuff where it wants. How can I do housekeeping my way?

Thank you.

strunz said:
Hi, OS Xers!! I need some advice...

1) I have a B&W G3/400 with 1 GB RAM running OS 9.2.2, which I LOVE, and to which most of my software is designed for. Late last year, I installed Panther on another G3 on a seperate drive, figuring I'd have the best of both worlds. However, switching back and forth seemed to really mess up the OS 9 drive. Since then, I discovered that that computer's CPU was verstunken. Now, I want to repeat the process on THIS computer, but I'm a bit gun shy. Should such an arrangement indeed foul up the OS 9 drive?
There is no danger switching back and forth from OS X to OS 9. I would chalk up your OS 9 corruption to your bad processor, not OS X. OS X doesn't do anything nasty to OS 9. It is completely safe to have both OS X and OS 9 installed on your machine, either on the same partition or different partitions.
2) Can files or documents be transferred from one disk to another without danger?
Yes -- bits are bits, and your copied file will be identical to the original.
3) In OS 9, I have a Data folder, with subfolders, so that I can keep all documents in one place. I couldn't seem to accomplish this in Panther; it seems to put stuff where it wants. How can I do housekeeping my way?
In OS X, you have the option of saving your documents wherever you want. The "Documents" folder is just there as a recommended place to store documents. If you like, you can put documents at the root of the hard drive, on an external hard drive, on another partition, in 200 nested subfolders, etc. I would recommend keeping with the "Apple way", though, as it makes backing files up easy (just copy your home folder to the backup). If you want to keep your documents elsewhere, though, by all means do so.

Thanks so much for your help. You've calmed my queasy stomach! I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi! Here's what I've done so far:

I have 5 drives on my computer: 1) Dedicated to OS 9.2.2; 2) Backup for OS 9.2.2 (cannot boot from this drive; it has replaced the Zip drive on ATA bus 0); 3) Dedicated to audio; 4) Dedicated to audio backup; 5) Dedicated to document archive (on SCSI card, cannot boot).

I initialized the audio backup drive (120 gb) and made two partitions: 110 gb for audio backup and 10 gb for OS X. I then installed OS X on the partition successfully.

Since I had problems before, I restarted and booted from my Norton Utilities disk and checked all the other disks. EACH DISK had this error message:

"There is a major error in the Alternate Volume Header Block. The last mounted version is invalid. The Volume Header Block and Alternate store important information about your HFS+ disk, such as the number of files and folders on the disk (6, 2, 36)".

I then repeated the process. Same thing.

What do I do now? Most of my software is older and not written for OS X, and I can't afford updates. Plus, I like OS 9.2.2, particularly for its stability with audio. Help!

Thanks.

Do NOT use Norton Utilities to examine or repair a Mac OS X drive. Perhaps this is why your OS X partition is screwy.

Norton Utilities has been discontinued for Mac OS X, and it was never really compatible with it in the first place. It is also incompatible with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drives, which is the default format for Panther and Tiger. Norton Utilities and Norton SpeedDisk can and will corrupt the disk directories on Mac OS X volumes, making your problems worse -- not better.

If you want to continue using Norton Utilities, stick with OS 9. If you use it with Mac OS X, you will have nothing but headaches and disk trouble.

I didn't use Norton on the OS X partition, just on all the OS 9 drives. Those drives gave me the error messages.

Back