Panther Questions

cbl2001

Registered
Hi,

I am not a tester, and only recently switched to Mac. However, I have a couple of questions about the upcoming OS that I would be grateful if anyone could answer.

1. Could anyone tell me if text rendering in Panther has improved over Jaguar? I find the text anti-aliasing in 10.2.x just leaves me with a headache.. :confused:

2. Can Panther connect to secure sites through a Windows VPN (my Uni uses VPN, and safari et al can never connect to secure web servers through it. Apparently this was a known problem with 10.2?!?)

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://www.visagemedia.co.uk/

1. I'd imagine it is the same; but did you know that you can change the level of the text smoothing in Jaguar. The setting is in the System Preferences, under General (I think) and can be set to 4 different levels. There are also some hacks out there that change the anti-aliasing level.

2. Yes. There's a new VPN thingie in the Network preference pane. Haven't tested it though because of a lack of VPN network.

You could use "Tinkertool"(freeware app.,
that lets you turn off Text Smoothing).

By the way-text is 50%sharper I´d say compared to 10.2,and the System as a whole is still 40%faster.

Nice improvement

And 50% sharper? That must be because you've finally found out that "Best for TFT" setting, because really nothing has changed in text antialiasing from Jaguar to Panther.

Originally posted by genehack
You could use "Tinkertool"(freeware app.,
that lets you turn off Text Smoothing).

By the way-text is 50%sharper I´d say compared to 10.2,and the System as a whole is still 40%faster.

Nice improvement

I find it a bit faster then jaguar, but not that much faster, probably around 10%, and bootup time is about 20% faster :p

Isn't there a free VPN client out for Mac OS X? My dad has to use it to go to authenticate so he can go to certain company web sites.

Am I the only one that sees NO difference when changing the text smoothing settings, except when turning it off? Is it something that applies immediately, or has to be redrawn, like when it's enabled/disabled in Windows?

I've never seen a difference, and that's from Jaguar. So that might be something they didn't change much.

Text smoothing only works on newly launched apps after you change the setting. Try changing the setting, then quitting a certain app and then relaunching it. It doesn't make the anti-aliasing changes on the fly, it requires a restart of the application to show the changes.

Hi,

According to Apple's website, text smoothing has been enhanced with a techonology called “Micro-pixel Positioning” which renders finer LCD Font Antialiasing and makes reading text easier on flat panel displays.

You can see it in http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/

Scroll through to general.

Really don't know what it means, but I bet it sounds promising!

Bye!

Back