Panther won't shut down

webkuh

Registered
Has anyone else found problems shutting down Panther? I'm running it on a dual 2Ghz G5. I've resorted to quitting all my applications and then trying to shut down. The follow happens about 50% of the time:

I get an alert box to check I wish to shut down. I click yes and then it dissapears and nothing happens. I wait for a while, the dock doesn't dissapear (nothin happens....) Finally I try the apple menu - shut down again. This time no alert box and still nothing happens. Eventually I am forced to shut the machine down by holding in the main power button which can't be good for my new G5 :(

Any suggestions? Anyone found the same bug?

webkuh said:
Has anyone else found problems shutting down Panther? I'm running it on a dual 2Ghz G5. I've resorted to quitting all my applications and then trying to shut down. The follow happens about 50% of the time:

I get an alert box to check I wish to shut down. I click yes and then it dissapears and nothing happens. I wait for a while, the dock doesn't dissapear (nothin happens....) Finally I try the apple menu - shut down again. This time no alert box and still nothing happens. Eventually I am forced to shut the machine down by holding in the main power button which can't be good for my new G5 :(

Any suggestions? Anyone found the same bug?

I had this happen within the first day after I upgraded to Panther.
Here's what worked for me
Shutdown (wait for it, give it a few minutes if you have to, if no shutdown in 5 minutes, then use your power switch. restart with Command-s. At the prompt, type /sbin/fsck -yf (that's a space between the fsck and the -yf)
press enter, you will see a test utility running. If it reports some repairs, do the same command again (until it finds no problems)
Now type reboot and press enter, your system will reboot to your desktop. Now repair permissions by opening the disk utility (in your Applications/Utility folder) clicking on your volume, and click on Repair Permissions. Let this complete (may take about 10 minutes).
Immediately restart.
When complete, try a shutdown...
Successful?

This might have something to do with iDisk if you are using it. Sometimes I can't shutdown because the Mirror Agent app is running. That's the only problem I've had with shutdowns.

Yeah, look for an application or other program that is preventing the shutdown process, something that refuses to quit.

Doug

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I've tried DeltaMac method and so far shutting down has been working (although when I ran the disk check I was told that everything appeared to be ok first time).

Back