Paris Expo

lukejacobs

Registered
Now Steve Jobs is doing the keynote speech that surely clears up the mystery of what's happened to the new Powerbooks.

September 16: new 15" Powerbook launch, and upgraded 17" and 12" to be announced.

That's my guess.

That has also been the guess of most of us for the last months, but I was really hoping they would do it all last tuesday as rumored...

I expect they will also release Panther at the same time...and the powerbooks will be Steve's "one more thing"

Hi Luke. :)
Steve was there last year, and if I remember right the year before and so on .. for the new stuff, we'll see then. I guess new rabbits from the hat expected. ;) Are you going to be there?

If someone wants to register for the expo, http://www.apple-expo.com/ - registering online early enough gives free tickets sent to home.

Moo... wait a sec... NEW POWERBOOKS?! Nuuuh Uhhh!!! no no no no no I'll hate Apple for this... I hope no... ah well... so what. I got a damn G4 PowerBook, and I'm all smiley and happy.
Panther prolly will be realeased, MAYBE. I predicted somethime in October or late November. I heard Panther's still buggy as hell... but whatever.
I'm hungry... I'm gonna go eat. :)

Check the special Panther forum, machacker... 7B44 is actually very stable.

I kind of want to install it on my iPod, but then I don't have any legit source of obtaining it ;^) Anyone get my drift?
How much space does the system take up? I have about 1.5 - 2 GB Free on my iPod, and I would be willing to clear up space but it would be simpler not to.

Honestly, I hope Apple releases the new PowerBooks sooner.
I've convinced two people (both PC users) into purchasing a new PowerBook for college.
One is leaning for a 17" - the other either 15" or 17" (I think she'd prefer the 15") - only thing holding them back from purchasing (especially the 15") is the update that should be coming (I told them it MIGHT happen last week)

She looked at the 15 compared to the 12 and 17, and could tell that it was outdated.

The guy, I know, will probably purchase a PowerBook. The girl, I'm not so sure if she's willing to wait till Expo for the machines. Especially with school starting soon.

new screens. and iTunes Music Store Europe. and iTunes Windows beta.

New screens! Now that would be a real rabbit. Apple hasn't updated their monitor line in years.

God I was at the store last night and I saw a 23 inch in person and I can never get over how friggin' big they are. They are HUGE! They're taller then a MDD G4 and about four times as wide... 23" viewable, thats almost two feet, and then there's about an inch and a half of border.
They look so nice compared to my 15" crt.

Heh. Imagine being able to hook your computer up to a movie projector, and using it with a giant movie screen. My friend says he did that with Nintendo one time, when he was really young in New York. His cousin or friend worked at the theater, and he let my friend play Nintendo on the screen. That would be cool.

Originally posted by arden
Heh. Imagine being able to hook your computer up to a movie projector, and using it with a giant movie screen.

I worked at Primetec during high school, and every Friday (well not every but almost) we would hook up their big ass projector and have a movie or game night. Imagine being able to watch a movie or play games in an IMAX theatre…. :)

What would be almost as good as an imax theater? A dual thirty inch monitor setup with a formac, and a G5 powerbook running it ;^)

Overheard conversation between Mac user and Apple employee yesterday:
Mac user: I think I'm going to get a 12" PowerBook soon.
Apple guy: You may want to wait until after the Apple Expo...
Mac user: You mean there will be released new models there?
Apple guy: Well, that's an other way of saying it.

I take that as a confirmation :p

Originally posted by kazfre
Hi Ksv:
How sure is this information?

Considering the fact it's been nine months since the last laptop line update, and the iBook and 15" PowerBook haven't seen a redesign in two years, I'd say 90%. It's the "year of the laptops" after all ;)
And all answers from the Apple people I and others talked to pointed towards a laptop line change or two. I'm eager to know what will happen, though :)

Chances are the Apple employee is also just making a qualified guess at the PB change at the Paris Expo, just like we are here. I guess he's out of the loop unless he's some big-shot boss somewhere...

I really hope they have already made these new laptops, and are not doing the G5 thing (announcing, then shipping months later)
I want to have it in my arms 2 weeks after the Expo, tops...

Back