Partitioning an external hard drive already being used by Time Machine.

GL-1200

Registered
I've got a 500 GB HD in my Intel iMac. I've got a a 500 GB external HD that Time Machine keeps maxed out. I want to partition the external HD to make room for my iTunes music file. I know that partitioning will erase everything. Questions: 1. When I start up Time Machine after partitioning, will it do a full back up? 2. How do I move my iTunes music file to the external HD? 3. After I move it, will it still behave the same? Any other tips about what I'm wanting to accomplish will be appreciated. Thanks. Allan

First off, you cannot have a Time Machine volume that is smaller in size than the hard drive that Time Machine is backing up -- so, for a Mac OS X boot partition that is 500GB in size, you must have a Time Machine partition that is at least 500GB, if not more.

This applies even if you don't intend on ever filling up your Mac OS X boot partition to it's capacity... so, even if you never use more than 60GB of a 500GB partition, you are still required to have a Time Machine partition that is 500GB or larger.

Here's a guide on moving an iTunes library:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449

Back