Partitioning...

jrydh

Registered
Hello,

I'm preparing for the final installation of Mac OS X. Right now I have an iMac with a 3,9GB OS 9 partition and a 2,4GB OS X PB. I'm running out of space, so I'm going to buy a 20GB from a friend and replace the current drive.

I'm definently going to have seperate partitions for OS X and OS 9. The question is only: how to partition.

50/50? 25/75? I imagine I'll work more in OS 9 than in X at first, progressively moving over as more applications come. But having partitions do create problems. Right now, the OS 9 is full and there's space in OS X, so I have to save some of my documents/apps there (which makes organizing more difficult). What if I had a small (~500MB) partition for the OS 9 system, and let the OS X system and all the applications go on another. I could still boot into OS 9 and access all my apps and documents. Or is it better to have the native programs on its own system?

tink

Registered
I.m trying to figure out the best solution also, I've e-mailedd a couple of people who hopefully will reply with what they think the best course to take is. I will post their expert oppinions if they reply. The Following is the email I sent. While this is the exact opposite to answering your question it may stimulate the discussion boards a bit..;./

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out how I’m going to structure my hard drive for X.
I am planning on re-initializing my 20GB Maxtor drive so as to minimize fragmentation over time and to use the disk as efficiently as possible.

So far I plan to create separate partitions (in order) for 9.1, 10.0, Virtual PC, Scratch, Applications, Misc./Docs.

Do I need to separate classic apps’ from the X apps. and will I create a problem with the way X sets up the file structure with User/Documents/Apps/etc.

Do I need to separate the Apps some how (folder or partition). Would I need to manually create an alias to the app partition (am I even allowed to do that), or can I just designate the partition for /my apps..

I hope I’m making sense. Maybe I could just do 3 partitions, 9.1, 10.0, everything else. Truth be told I have looked everywhere for the answers to my questions for the last couple of weeks to no avail... Documentation is hard to come by on this new system,......and now I find myself at your doorstep hours away from OS X ...

Right now I’m using 16GB of a 20GB partition on a rev. A Blue and White 350G3, 576MB of Ram with 9.1. I want to have X closer to the outside of the drive spindle in-order to be able to use all my drive can give her/him/it.

Thanks Oh trees of wisdom,

Josh
Santa Cruz, California

All my life I’ve really wanted to be somebody.......... Now, I realize I should have been more specific.
-Lillie Tomlan

TommyWillB

Registered
The PB needed to have OS X installed in the first 8GB of the 1st partition of your drive. From what I've read so far, that seems to also be the case for the retail OS X 10.0.

So just make sure the first partition on your drive is 8GB or less. You can put OS 9.x there, or on another partition...