Password not accepted - how to boot?

philaweb

Registered
Just finished the installation of my new Mac OS X Server. Everything went smoothly untill first reboot.

I can't login with the right password - and I am sure the password is right.
What on earth is going on? How can I boot to reinstall?

Edit: Need to add that I am a total nOOb to Mac OS X server, which you might have guessed by now. ;)

Be so nice and add the solution for your problem (no matter how embarrassing you think it is ;)). Ppl that get to this thread using the search option might appreciate this very much. Thanks!

Zammy-Sam said:
Be so nice and add the solution for your problem (no matter how embarrassing you think it is ;)). Ppl that get to this thread using the search option might appreciate this very much. Thanks!

Okay...

How to boot when password is not accepted (Mini Mac):

1. Insert the CD or DVD install disc.
2. Disconnect and reconnect power.
3. Hold down the C key to bypass the initial booting unit (hard drive).

Rest goes by itself.

And...

Even though the server setup process gives you an example of using "Administrator" as the long name for Administrator - don't do it. Use your real name or something else.

I am not quite sure whether special chars are accepted in the password.
Nothing is written about this in the "Mac OS X Server - Getting Started" handbook on page 140 under "Administrator's password".

DeltaMac said:
I guess you forgot your initial password, so had to reset it.

Nope. I guess (as written in previous post) that passwords can not contain special chars. It would be great if they could because they would be much more difficult to crack since keyboards are very different from language to language.

Back