Pasword potect folder

jenny7767

Registered
I have lots of people who use my mac and I don't want them to look at my work files. How can I protect them?

A simple freebee is 'Hide Folders'. It works great, but is not bullet proof if you know what you're looking for.

Create a general user account for everyone else and always log out of your profile before they get to the computer.

Yep, gotta agree with pds -- Mac OS X is a true, multi-user system. Use multiple accounts (one for you, one for child number 1, one for child number 2, one for the husband, one for grandma, one for guests, etc.) and no one will be able to see anything anyone else has... unless they let them.

Having multiple users using a single account is counter-intuitive, and then trying to use that single account as a multi-user account will only lead to headaches, frustration, and a life of having to use funky workarounds.

If you have some static stuff, i.e. something that does not increase much in side, you could create an encrypted disk image file using Disk Util. When clicked, Finder asks the password and mounts the disk image file as a disk, where you can have the files you like to protect. After use, drag the disk (not the file) to the trash box and the files are protected again.

Back