PB 12" SD stopped burning...

eleveneastgate

Registered
Greetings...

Anyone ever get:

The attempt to burn a disc failed. The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry.

... when trying to burn a music CD?

I've had my PB for about 2 months, and I just started burning DVDs & CDs. All together I've burned 1 DVD & 5 CDs.

When trying to burn more music CDs, I get the above message.

I used Disc Utility & reset the PMU to no avail.

Also blow some air in it, and that didn't work.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance --- :D

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UPDATE

I went to the Genius Bar at Apple's Glendale, CA store...

It turns out the discs I was using were the problem, everything is burning as it should now.

The Genius, Jason, recommended TDK discs for Model: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825 SuperDrives.

At what speed are you trying to burn the discs (4x, 8x, 16x, ...)? It may help to try a slower burn speed.

Have you tried different brands of CD and DVD media?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
At what speed are you trying to burn the discs (4x, 8x, 16x, ...)? It may help to try a slower burn speed.

Have you tried different brands of CD and DVD media?

Thanks for your reply... I'm Burning @ 4X.

I had NO problems with the previous burns, it's just acting up now...

Hmm... howabout a fresh restart of the PowerBook? I know I'm reaching here, but we just gotta be sure all the primary bases are covered (restart, repair permissions, repair disk, try a new user account, etc.) before we say it's a problem with the hardware itself...

i don't know if I'd recommend a cleaning disc, since those slot-loading CD drives are pretty delicate things, but it may be due to dirt that can't be blown away with compressed air.

Also, my DVD drive gets pretty warm after a few burns -- are you trying to do a bunch of burns in a row, or are you waiting a while between burns?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Hmm... howabout a fresh restart of the PowerBook? I know I'm reaching here, but we just gotta be sure all the primary bases are covered (restart, repair permissions, repair disk, try a new user account, etc.) before we say it's a problem with the hardware itself...

Yea, unfortunately I tried what you mentioned... (restart, repair permissions, repair disk, try a new user account, etc.) and nothing worked.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
i don't know if I'd recommend a cleaning disc, since those slot-loading CD drives are pretty delicate things, but it may be due to dirt that can't be blown away with compressed air.

Did the compressed air thingy too, no go...

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Also, my DVD drive gets pretty warm after a few burns -- are you trying to do a bunch of burns in a row, or are you waiting a while between burns?

I waited a while...

Thanks for your time in trying to help me solve this, I REALLY appreciate it!

Hmmm... any warranty left on the PowerBook?

Also, what programs are you using to burn the CDs/DVDs? Have you tried 3rd party (non-Apple) software like Toast?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Hmmm... any warranty left on the PowerBook?

Also, what programs are you using to burn the CDs/DVDs? Have you tried 3rd party (non-Apple) software like Toast?

Yeah... It's still under Apple's 1 year warranty. I was hoping I'd be able to solve this without sending it in, but it looks like i just might have to.

BTW, I tried burning in iTunes & Toast, no go...

Thanks again!

Hmmm... definitely sounds like a hardware problem, but most likely what Apple will do is wipe the hard drive clean and test the drive that way... and, they may find that doing that restores the drive to a working state, so you may want to consider that before deciding to send it off...

Sorry about the drive troubles!

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Hmmm... definitely sounds like a hardware problem, but most likely what Apple will do is wipe the hard drive clean and test the drive that way... and, they may find that doing that restores the drive to a working state, so you may want to consider that before deciding to send it off...

Sorry about the drive troubles!

GOOD ONE! I think I'll do that FIRST.

My PB is in very good shape, no scratches or nicks. I'd hate for it to come back otherwise, and I've read some horror stories.

Should I wipe the whole thing clean or do a archive and install?

BTW, the drive is able to play DVDs & CDs, so I guess that's a good thing, yes?

Cheers!

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I recently sent my iPod photo off for some warranty service, and it came back looking like it had another 6 months of heavy use... I can identify that it was the same iPod I shipped to Apple due to some very unique (but small) scratches in the upper left-hand corner of the screen that were there when I first opened the iPod, but in addition, it had a bunch more on the screen. It just appeared like the tech that serviced it didn't really take too many precautions against scratching the unit. Bummer, but oh well, it's not gonna ruin my day, although I can't say I was happy about it when I got the unit back.

At any rate, if at all possible, I would suggest backing up what you need and doing a fresh, clean format and complete install. You never know, it may work, it may not.

An Archive & Install should do the same thing, but it's just a habit of mine to clean install whenever I experience a problem... it's by no means necessary to clean install, it's just a personal preference.

Back