PB Critics tear Apple apart

im certainly not plannin on departin from the Mac scene. i just got here. and it feels COOL, RELAXING and ENJOYING! thats all i ask !!!

oh,.. and Hulkaros.. STOP being sarcastic about PCs.. I LIKE EM :) they are very good for playin games (such as solitaire) (hahahahahhaha) !!!

I admit that I didn't read the entire thread, so someone may have mentioned this already, but:
Has anyone else noticed the neverending cycle of Microsoft ads at the top of that page?

no peter, nobody has mentioned that. i guess we're just used to tuning that stuff out. your post did get me to rexplore the page and after following a side bar link, i wasn't too surprized to find that you need realplayer or WMP to view their clips of the keynote. no QT versions.

http://news.com.com/2009-1040-979524.html?tag=lh

Stealth (and others? I skimmed) also pointed out a problem in the cnet journalist's logic:

"I don't like Keynote because it is too good."

Huh? This guy (cnet guy) is criticizing Apple for making a better product BECAUSE IT IS MORE CAPABLE THAN POWERPOINT.

That is utterly stupid and absurd.

"I don't want something better. I just want the stuff Microsloth shoves down my throat because Microsoft is not proprietary. Microsoft is business. Microsoft is . . etc."

Garbage. Buy the best product. Or take your ball and go home. It's almost like saying Microsoft Paint is sufficient because Photoshop Elements is too flashy! Ridiculous logic. . .
*** RANT OFF ****

Doug

[Edit: edited for clarity :)]

watch it doug, dont want to come down to others levels... this thread is already walking on a tight rope in places...

be nice to each other guys

Hey, Jason,

I was only attacking the cnet guy's comments on Keynote. Somehow I don't think he'll be upset by my comments if he reads them. [If so, I'll buy him a latte!]

The logic is faulty (yeah, faulty, I won't call it CR*PPY, I promise.) :D

I edited the previous message for clarity. I've got a (bad, I guess) habit of hitting "submit" and then reading it, then revising it. I've got to hold on to messages until they're ready!

Doug

P.S. Peace!

lol oh ok, my bad :)

ive just had some random complaints about some peoples opinions in this thread...

I've said it on this site a dozen times and the article at the beginning of thos thread confirms this - what Apple is doing ins't INNOVATION.

I was absolutely disappointed with this years MacWorld keynote speech. The software introductions aren't what will keep Apple in business. The 17" inches of screen real estate will also NOT make people buy new machines, including myself and the 12 inch verision makes me look at the mini Sony Vaio even more (because it comes with a built in camera).

With all my love to Apple, they have been banking on the same strategy for the last 2 years plus they have been ticking people off.

1. A ridiculous $100 for a shitty .mac service
2. $300 for a crappy airport base station
3. A $129 charge for Mac OSX 10.2
4. A PAINTED Powerbook that chips paint faster than it boots
5. After 20 years of 2 button mice STILL a silly single button mouse

I should say that I worked for Apple for three years in Europe and that I have been a HUGE proponant of the brand. Sadly enough I am losing faith. This might be my last Powerbook for a long while if Apple doesn't give me an incentive that is real.

G

Originally posted by Gedankenspiel
I've said it on this site a dozen times and the article at the beginning of thos thread confirms this - what Apple is doing ins't INNOVATION.

-----------------------------------------------

innovation

\In`no*va"tion\, n. [L. innovatio; cf. F. innovation.]
1. The act of innovating; introduction of something new, in customs, rites, etc. --Dryden.

2. A change effected by innovating; a change in customs; something new, and contrary to established customs, manners, or rites. --Bacon.

The love of things ancient doth argue stayedness, but levity and want of experience maketh apt unto innovations. --Hooker.

3. (Bot.) A newly formed shoot, or the annually produced addition to the stems of many mosses.

-----------------------------------------------

Just what do you think innovation is Gedankenspiel? Innovation to me is doing something new or in a way that's never been done before through research and hard work, instead of through more natural processes that are harder to stop than they are hard work, which would be evolution. Of course, this is just my definition and there's definitely quite a lot of gray area, especially in technology today.

Dell has been extremely ingenius and unique in their business model, for example. That's innovation. Other PC companies are being forced to slowly change their business models to match Dell's, or else they don't and die. That's evolution.

Apple is, for the first time in personal computing, really integrating all the different aspects of a digital lifestyle. That's innovation. The rest of the industry will be forced to follow. That's evolution.

Apple took the industry's scaled-down hunk of desktop metal and turned it into something that's not only sleek on the outside, but thin, portable, integrated with the WiFi world that laptops belong in and, now, able to connect to super-high speed peripherals that enable desktop capabilities in a mobile package. That's innovation.

If you really want to classify innovation as only something that is completely new, then the only innovators left in the PC industry will be the physicists. They're the ones who come up with the out-of-nowhere crazy ideas about how maybe these protons and electrons and quarks and quirks work and how we might be able to control them. The rest -- the chemistry, the engineering, the applications that are enabled by that engineering & etc. have all 'evolved' from the physicists, if that's how you want to look at it.

Apple is innovating and has been. They make things and do things in ways that have never been done before -- significant ways that really make a difference to the end user -- and the rest of the PC industry follows in evolution.

I'm not saying that the rest of the PC industry doesn't innovate. They do, and in many ways that Apple doesn't. But Apple does innovate and is one of the most, if not the most, innovating companies in the industry.

Or actually if you preferred to use definition 3 from above perhaps Microsoft would be the most innovating company in the industry. :D :p

MWSF, What's new:

- Airport Extreme (industry first),
- Integrated BlueTooth (industry first, in laptops AFAIK),
- FireWire 800 (industry first),
- Backlit keyboard with ambient light sensor (industry first),
- Keynote (totally new app for Apple, but not new in the sector),
- Safari (new for Apple, but not overall)
- Integration of iLife (the iApps aren't "new", the form of far-reaching integration however is)
- 17" Powerbook (industry first)

MWSF, what's not-so-new:

- 12" Powerbook (iBook-like form factor + G4 = old elements new combination + innovations as of above)
- The individual iApps (progress, bugfixes, speed etc. aren't really an innovation, but simply improvement)
- Final Cut Express (older app ripoff, nothing new)
- No other new hardware (the iPod jacket is a joke, but a good one :) ).

Correct me if I have overlooked something...

Well, summing it up, Apple innovated a great deal, but maybe not in a way some of us would have liked it to. Of course we all would have liked Mr. Jobs say: "One more thing, ... the G5"
Oh well, there's going to be improvement along that line, but not now. We have gotten a lot of nice things, though. I don't feel the need to complain about what we haven't got. :)

Peace and love to all of you out there! :)

Airport Extreme isn't new. It is new for Apple, but there are other 802.11g products on the market already. What is an innovation I think is the USB printer sharing which I haven't seen, but there are other wireless printer sharing options availble, most or all of them are based on network ethernet printers though I believe.

Might correct you there. Apple comes to the market with AirPort Extreme with the first wave of 802.11g hardware. At least in Europe. Two days before Steve's keynote, The Register posted a story about 802.11g gear coming to the UK 'soon', and I have yet to see any 802.11g hardware in person here in Switzerland (and I _am_ visiting computer stores quite often, which is bad for my money).

To the person comparing the TinyBook to Sony's ultraportables with camera: I've got one of those and have thought about buying a new one - when Apple released the TinyBook.

As I mainly use my notebooks for writing stories and poems, don't care so much about the OS it uses. PC notebooks get Linux, which is a fine OS for WiFi surfing and writing, Macs come with Jaguar, of course.

Sony's ultraportables aren't very good for writing and their battery life isn't what Sony promises, and even that wouldn't be as good as Apple's (real) battery life. Together with the _too_ wide screen in those PictureBooks (as Sony calls them), they're basically nice toys that aren't suited to real work, either. The camera is fun - but what would you use it for? I'm not much of an online-cam-chatter and I have a digital camera that makes better pictures (and which I can actually hold in one hand a bit better).

Plus: The 12" PowerBook will also replace my 'desktop' machine, the TiBook 500. (And replace it well.)

Well, I sure like the stuff Apple brought out at Macworld. However, if what Apple is doing now is "innovating", they sure as hell used to innovate a lot more in the past. When Microsoft brought out the first version of Windows, Apple was 10 years ahead. Since then MS has more or less caught up. I still prefer the Mac, because it's better, but it's only a little bit better.

BTW, someone mentioned this: "The day Linux gets a consumer desktop worthy of download, that's it for Apple."
If you phrase Linux more generally as "open-source reliable unix-variant", that's exactly what Mac OS X is. If Linux ever gets a decent consumer desktop, it will not come from the open-source community. This is because as a commercial enterprise Apple has something the open-source community doesn't - consistency and quality control. Also, and probably most importantly, it has commercial applications. The problem with open-source development is that it develops for itself, not for the average consumer who doesn't want to bother about knowing what a megabyte or pixel is.

I am also very off topic.

If Apple's development cycle for Safari are anything like Cyberdog's, I'll become an iWhiner myself. (Cyberdog came out and died at version 1.x. And the whole technology it was built on - OpenDoc - got scrapped when Mac OS 8.1 came out. If I may add the analogy: Safari would never reach version 1 and Mac OS X would get scrapped when Mac OS X 10.3 comes out.)

And about a good linux desktop environment: Ximian's Gnome is good. Red Hat's BlueCurve (Gnome version) is good. It's the apps that are missing. Actually, you can have a very nice system running on an X86 based notebook or desktop computer, if you use RedHat 8.x. You're still screwed if you want to do the things you do on the Mac, though.

your linux comment is interesting.

it spurs an interesting thought about why linux is nice for me...

i have used linux for the past 4 years primarily because i am a student and linux is so much nicer to program in. pure programming. the keystrokes are all in the right places and the tools are all free.

now (well, about a year ago) apple intros their os which is unix based. now all of a sudden i can program to my little hearts content with all the free tools i am used to, and still have a legit system for normal use.

i know this has nothing to do with the topic but i have to post this cuz its on my mind.

i think apple is going the right way. and i think they have bigger plans than anyone is giving them credit for. be patient. the good things are going to get better.

I also find the OSX development environment ideal and perhaps therein lies the true source of Apple's innovation: As new communication protocols are adopted and integrated into Apple's products, I find as a hardware engineer extraordinary opportunity to develop systems that I can deploy using an Apple computer as a backbone. This places the innovation spear firmly in the hands of the greater community and relieves the pressure of having Apple create everything that's cool under the sun in-house. Apple appears to be working on polishing the foundation in order to expand their developer base, which then drives the consumer market, reciprocating to the developer base again, etc. It's a bold and refreshing approach to business strategy.

I just bought my 15" Powerbook G4 for the purpose of developing a variety of Bluetooth, Firewire, and USB applications. So more cool stuff might be coming from outside sources. Or perhaps I am merely naive in my interpretation...

Saul

I just meant that cyberdog was a web browser as is safari, so it isnt entirely new for apple.

Got me on that one. OK, it's before my time, loooong ago. Sorry. :) No worries.

Then still, browsing in OS X (2003) and browsing in 7.5.5 (ehm, 198*?) makes a hell of a difference methinks. Still, can't claim too much new code, since it's based on Konqueror... OK Safari's not-so-new then. But we've all been rumoring/hoping/expecting it for a long time, and are glad it's here! :D and we hope it WON'T follow Cyberdogs sad fate...

Back