Pb G4 17 Boot Problem

rambaud

Registered
I have PB G4 1,3Ghz 17 .When I press the power button it starts,makes normal sound,screen flashes,then the small white flashing square with the Globe,(American continent,blue colour) appears on the screen ,then after 20-30 secs. little typical square (as if the s/w and the hdd are not present)The dvd drive reacts to the CD,there is a spinning sound of the HDD,but no boot.Please advise what that flashing globe tryes to say?Regards

It means that your Startup Disk somehow got changed to "Network" or "NetBoot". You can change this back to normal by going into System Preferences > Startup Disk and re-selecting your Mac OS X installation drive.

To try and get the PowerBook to boot, hold down the 'option' key as you start the computer. You should be presented with a list of bootable volumes -- your hard drive will look like a little hard drive icon.

If this does not work, something may be wrong with your Mac OS X installation -- in this case, boot from the Mac OS X Install CD/DVD and use Disk Utility to repair the disk.

In your earlier discussions with Andy he talked about the open firmware password being set.
This is set in a chip inside the computer and not on the hard disc. (changing the HD doesn't change this password)
This is available as extra security to stop the mac being booted from another disk.

See http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/openfirmwarepassword.html and the knowledgebase article link on the same page for some info.

In normal operation you would not notice that the Open firmware password was set but if you changed the HD this could cause an issue as the the open firmware expects to boot from the old hard disk.

The bottom of the apple knowledgebase article at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482 has information about resetting the open firmware password. To do this but you would need to know the old password!

I think Andy already tried to get you to do this but if you try again and are asked for a password you will need to get the Applecentre to reset it.

Tell them you what your Open Firmware password resetting.

If you show them the steps at the bottom of the knowledgebase article they should realise what needs to be done and that it is not a new motherboard and HD that you need

Back